VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Banned
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Such a strange question for such a simple move, shoot I know you all jump into your car and have that sucker fired up and in gear just as your butt hits the seat and have your seat belt on just as you let your foot off the brake and are rolling out of your driveway, but tell me CLers - I've heard so many CONFLICTING OPINIONS on this one..
Do you put your key in and fire that sucker up, or do you turn it, and THEN fire it up (to let the fuel pump pressurize?) I've heard sooooOOoooo many different things about this.

I give it a quick second delay, only because I figure it can't do any damage to the car but it seems corny as hell to sit there and wait almost until the blower kicks in. What do you guys say?

· Registered
2018 VW Jetta SE 1.4T 5-speed manual
10,185 Posts
Re: (OoTLink)

There is no need to wait for the glow plugs on a TDI if the ambient temperature is above 40 degrees F. Just crank it and go.
(In warm weather, above 60 F or so, the glow plugs are not used, even if the engine is stone cold. In colder weather, the glow plugs are used, but they act quickly enough that you don't have to wait for them unless it's below 40 F.)

· Registered
11,376 Posts
Re: (ToledoTDi)

Quote, originally posted by ToledoTDi »
Yea. The fuel pump prime when the driver side door is opened.

It is because of this nice feature that I jump in, fire it right up, buckle up, wait for about 5 seconds or so, then I pull out and I am gone.

· Banned
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I totally know what ya mean, I always pray to get there n back safely, it tends to be all inclusive, hehe.
OTOH, they say God helps those who help themselves. By that I mean that with a 200k car you've done nothing to maintain, no prayer will help you! Same goes if you pray for your safety and then play chicken with tour busses.
Sorry, just had to play with that joke (I'm only partially kidding though)

· Registered
8,243 Posts
Re: How do you start YOUR car(s)? (OoTLink)

Hrm... I fire up right away, but from now on I think I'll wait for the fuel pump to whirr away first...

· Registered
17,516 Posts
Open the door, get in, put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON, pull the cold start handle, put my seatbelt on, wait for the glowplug light to go out, and pray.
Push the cold start handle in once the engine is running smoothly (right away in summer).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.