VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ever I'm idling at a stop light the stupid @ss dash vibrates like a d^ldo on steroids....
Does anybdoy else have this problem and how can i fix it?
Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Re: How do you stop the dash from Rattling (Corradoholic)

I used some weatherstripping where plastic met plastic or metal. Worked pretty good. Still have a few rattles like the ashtray and such. Sounds 100 times better though. I'm sure someone will have other opinions...
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,975 Posts

It's a VW, you will never kill the rattles

What I am going to do is take the whole thing out, clean it, and make sure when it goes back in NOTHING is loose and all the bolts are torqued down nice and tight. Also, I may do what HyKlas is doing and throw some thin weatherstripping down where plastic meets metal....

·
Registered
3,809 Posts

buy a newer vdub
........'cept they won't be so unique or fun

·
Registered
944 Posts

light the stupid @ss dash vibrates like a d^ldo on steroids....
i was laughing so hard i almost feel off my chair. i feel your pain. try dring an automatic a1 vw. it drives me nuts but, for some reason all the girls wana ride

later chuck

[Modified by rabitboy99, 2:47 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

You need a new right hand engine mount, they alway's collapse and shake the dash to bits, after you do the mount retighten all the dash bolts and screws.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Re: How do you stop the dash from Rattling (Vdubs)

quote:[HR][/HR]How do you stop the dash from rattling?[HR][/HR]​
Don't drive your car. Seriously.
Or,...
quote:[HR][/HR]You need a new right hand engine mount, they alway's collapse and shake the dash to bits, after you do the mount retighten all the dash bolts and screws.[HR][/HR]​
What he said.

Keep in mind that you will never get rid of all of the rattles, and if you do, it will only be temporary. I've been driving VWs for 17 years now, and rattles have always been a part of the experience, from the A1s through the A4s.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Re: How do you stop the dash from Rattling (GolfFanatic2)

quote:[HR][/HR]buying a newer dub won't do it, trust me...
[HR][/HR]​
my thoughts too.......
i have to smack teh a-pillar once a day just so i dont go crazy drving the jetta

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]How do you stop the dash from rattling?
[HR][/HR]​
Take it out.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

HRmm... sounds like it could be an engine mount..
It actually seems like the RPMS are dropping too low causing the engine to vibrate... since it only happens when im idling in drive or in park(yes, i know.. booo its auto... but i didn't buy it to be a speed demon).. if i put it in neutral the RPMS climb like 100 and it shuts up and droesnt vibrate one bit...
Grrr....
I just put in an MP3 Player deck today and the thing is gunna vibrate till it breaks!
THanks
Ryan

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Re: How do you stop the dash from Rattling (Vdubs)

quote:[HR][/HR]You need a new right hand engine mount..[HR][/HR]​
DING! Finally after many posts we have a wiener..
However, you will never, and I do mean NEVER, quell the vibrations and rattles in an A1. My brand spankin' new '83 Rabbit GTI was vibrating, buzzing and rattling at an alarming rate by the time the car was 2 years old and had just 60k on it - sounded like a 15-year-old one already!
Take care of the motor mount(s), this is the best thing you can do, short of pulling the dash and attempting to tie up all the wiring and other crap in there and stuff some sort of insulation in there. A BITCH of a job, and minimal effectiveness.

·
Registered
10,650 Posts
Re: How do you stop the dash from Rattling (KevinC)

Leave a week open during this year. Grab 2 gallons of liquid nails. pour the liquid nails over the dash and let it sit in the sun for a week. This should take care of the rattles, bugs and leaks. Oh, do not expect to be able to remove the dash any time soon.

PICTURE OF MOUNT ON EBAY NOW:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=598280555&r=0&t=0

[Modified by Big CADDY, 3:41 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
117 Posts

I bought a roll of this rubber mesh stuff that is sold in stores and is usually used to under table cloths to keep them from sliding off a slick table. I cut it to the to the size and shape of my glovebox and also the cubbyhole below the radio in the dash. It quiets things down a lot by reducing rattles. Now when I take off at stoplights I don't have cassettes flying out at me!
I also tightened up all dash screws and made sure that any that were missing had been replaced. Now my twenty year old dash doesn't rattle at all!
You could also use foam tape in areas where there are gaps like behind the dash bezel.
Shawn

·
Registered
128 Posts
Another vote for the passenger-side motor mount. Had mine done yesterday at the shop. The difference is like night and day particularly when the car is cold. No more embarrasing vibrating dashboard and no more massaging the clutch to minimize the shaking (well maybe a little). Go change that mount today!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]When ever I'm idling at a stop light the stupid @ss dash vibrates like a d^ldo on steroids....
Does anybdoy else have this problem and how can i fix it?
Thanks
Ryan[HR][/HR]​
Turn off the car at stop lights.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: How do you stop the dash from Rattling (Driftin GTI)

I had no idea that particularly the right mount would help stop the rattles. Finally I have something new to do without fixing something that's not broken, because I know for a fact that my right motor mount is torn a bit. I didn't think it made much of a difference though.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Re: How do you stop the dash from Rattling (8416V)

like evryone else the mount is bad they always go bad make sure to put rubber ears back in mount or it will get trashed real quick, if you want bad vibration try solid mounts they are very harsh and a Weber TB and no sound deadening the car is louder insid ehtan out http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts