VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
if the nuts are hard to loosen, push the lights into the body from the outside. kinda lean on them with your body weight, while doing that, reach behind and loosen the nuts by hand. should come out really easy. dont drop the nuts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Re: how do you take out the tail lights?? (going golfing)

theres a little spike on the right hand side light that is a little tricky. when i pulled mine out it got stuck and cracked the light. use some wd40.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Re: how do you take out the tail lights?? (southOCgti)

oh so there actually is a way to get the last nut on the drivers side off
I broke mine on purpose since I though there was now way I could dig my way up in the metal to get it off

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Re: how do you take out the tail lights?? (southOCgti)

Quote, originally posted by southOCgti »
theres a little spike on the right hand side light that is a little tricky. when i pulled mine out it got stuck and cracked the light. use some wd40.

uou have to pull the lights out at the right angle. if you try to pry them out or pull it from the side you'll snap that mug in a heartbeat. be patient. i was surprised how easy the lights came out because everyone kept saying it was impossible to reach all the bolts. if you have tools that are long enough it's real easy. 20 minute job.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Re: how do you take out the tail lights?? (Dub Nerd)

haha, i dont know if there is really an "easy way". when your taking the one hard to reach nut in and out, use some rubber cement all over the bit to keep it from falling into the abyss beneath.
i almost lost mine. and get someone out there to help you with a flashlight

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Re: how do you take out the tail lights?? (brianpgriset)

Quote, originally posted by brianpgriset »
haha, i dont know if there is really an "easy way". when your taking the one hard to reach nut in and out, use some rubber cement all over the bit to keep it from falling into the abyss beneath.
i almost lost mine. and get someone out there to help you with a flashlight

Well it's easier then I've seen some people do it

It's better to have 2 people. One can unscrew the nut and the other can hold the light. As the nut starts to come off, have the other person pull the tail out. Once the nut comes off, TRY to hold it in place, with the hole, and have the other person put the new tail on.
I did it by myself, but another set of hands would have been nice

·
Registered
576 Posts

Quote, originally posted by going golfing »
im trying to replace my tail lights..i am having trouble with removing it..any suggestions.///?????

Very carefully! LOL...
Just kidding...

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Re: how do you take out the tail lights?? (VdoubleUFreak)

use clay putty on your nut driver or socket if it's on a ratchet. sometimes it's a good idea to magnetize your tools with that mag/demagnetizing tool you can buy at any hardware place.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Just for reference, if you want real good lights for your vw, get Hella lights. They are a german company that make phenominal **** for german cars, thats where Im getting my stuff from.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Re: how do you take out the tail lights?? (SCDJetta20)

Quote, originally posted by SCDJetta20 »
Just for reference, if you want real good lights for your vw, get Hella lights. They are a german company that make phenominal **** for german cars, thats where Im getting my stuff from.

Is it because they are a German company? They have different manufacturing plants world wide so it doesn't necessarily mean they are German made.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: how do you take out the tail lights?? (atoson)

All german, everything is made there and shipped here. Hella doesnt subcontract themselves to have other people make there lites, at least not that I know of. I dont know, anything is possible, but just in general, that company has alot of sick ****.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts

All german, everything is made there and shipped here. Hella doesnt subcontract themselves to have other people make there lites, at least not that I know of. I dont know, anything is possible, but just in general, that company has alot of sick ****.

I didn't say subcontract, I said they have manufacturing plants world wide. ex. Philippines.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

I've heard depo makes their housings for headlights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts