VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this in a previous related post.
Anyhow, got the rebuilt head with 268 regrind cam and have a clicky lifter after 2 days of running!
Local vdub expert says turn lifter upside down on workbench and compress the inside pushing down. If it's "springy" then it's probably good. So, how springy? These things are rock hard springy - the two new ones I bought for replacements that is.
Normal hydraulic lifters (v-8 type) are 2 or 3 piece with a large oiling hole(s) halfway up the lifter body which is filled by engine oil. These VW hydraulic lifters don't have any holes what-so-ever so I'm confused here. Do they have some sort of oil sealed into the inside of the lifter then?
My Chilton POS manual has no test for hydro lifters? Do any of you with Bentley manuals have a test?
Wondering how the heck I find the noisy one without replacing all of them?
Hopefully I'll find one that's worn different than the others or something.
Can you run the motor at idle with the valve cover off or will oil give me a shower?

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: How do you test a hydraulic lifter? (p_ferlow)

Ok, I stand corrected....
There is a tiny oil hole in the groove that runs around the lifter.
Still...these things are rock-hard. How do I test the "springyness"??
Have cam off, help needed before I can do anything else.
As a slightly related question, how many oil galleries go up to the head from the block to pump oil pressure to the head?
Cam looks to be wearing mainly at the round part of the lobes and lobe tips, about 1/2inch from the highest lift point there's hardly any wear. All lobes appear similar. I have no idea how to find bad lifter?
Help.

Modified by p_ferlow at 4:45 PM 7-16-2003

· Registered
694 Posts
Re: How do you test a hydraulic lifter? (p_ferlow)

Agreed. Replace them all!
10 bucks a piece from Techtonics Tuning.
I know it is $80.00, but isn't that worth the headache of tracking that one lifter down? Even if you find the bad lifter and replace just that one, you could be searching for another in a few months.
Get the new ones http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How do you test a hydraulic lifter? (der_panzer)

Problem finally solved. Remember guys, these were new lifters in the motor done when the head was rebuilt a few days ago, that's why I wanted to find THE one that's ****.
Anyway, since I had no way of testing them I called up http://www.bowwow.ca and talked to Brad in the machine shop who did the work and he graciously exchanged my 2 day old lifters that he put in for a new set.
The GTI is back BABY!
Damn hella noisy drivetrain but not clicky like before and she's got power like she's supposed to have. Been drivin me almost nuts getting it right.
Ended up replacing the intermediate shaft seal and o-ring while I had it all apart and cam out.
Now I just have to replace those bubbling front brake hoses.

Right now I don't want to play with the car or I might jinx (spell?) my work.
I need a f*cken beer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.