VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've driven around in cars with Magnaflow, TT, and Remus exhausts, but I have only read about the Milltek exhaust. I have a Vr6, do you guys know anything about how the Milltek exhaust sounds and feels? Can you compare it to the others so I can get an idea about it?

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Re: How does a Milltek exhaust sound and feel compared to others? (CubanGTI)

I just got a milltek for my vr6 last thursday and i'm completely in love with it. It's really quiet, it's got a really nice and discrete deep growl to it.
The only problem you might run into is the way it sits under your car. I can say that most vr6ers have had that problem. Myself, I have that problem too but it's something that can be fixed. The guys at stratmosphere are very good, I would not stop recommending ppl to them for that exhaust. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
You will feel a difference performance-wise, I guarantee it.
If you want more info, let me know!
EDIT: sorry I can't compare to other systems because it's the first one i've had after stock and i'm sticking with it

[Modified by nianmuzik, 10:10 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
420 Posts
Re: How does a Milltek exhaust sound and feel compared to others? (nianmuzik)

Is the problem that you're refering to the hanger on the muffler? I read that it is in the wrong position and getting everything to line up is next to impossible, even with the help of a muffler/exhaust shop. I love the looks of the miltek, but don't expect to have fitment problems on a $600 exhaust... in fact, for that much money it should fit better than oe!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Re: How does a Milltek exhaust sound and feel compared to others? (john-420)

this is how I got mine to fit perfectly...

It's a great exhaust. Nice power increase. Best way to describe the sound it stock volume with a deeper tone. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Re: How does a Milltek exhaust sound and feel compared to others? (got_boost)

quote:[HR][/HR]this is how I got mine to fit perfectly...

the hose clamp on the rubber hanger[HR][/HR]​
Correct. Otherwise it was sitting way too low and crooked. I e-mailed the pic and description of what happened to Stratmosphere but haven't heard back from them.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: How does a Milltek exhaust sound and feel compared to others? (CubanGTI)

Mine took A LOT of work to get fitted properly.
But the OEM European cars are different. This headache comes w/the system.
Instead of hanger mods, I cut that small piece of pipe off the back of the muffler body, created a new flex point so the muffler could be pulled up, then welded it in placed.
You can get it really close and tight if you're willing to work at it. And instead of a bodykit, I wanted the OEM look, so that's where my labors went...instead of fitting a rear valance.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Re: How does a Milltek exhaust sound and feel compared to others? (gqjeff)

I tried asking Stratmosphere if they have resolved the fitment issues, but never got an answer. I really want the Milltek, but like it has been stated before, I would like a $600 exhaust to fit correctly. Has anyone heard if they resolved the fitment issues?

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Re: How does a Milltek exhaust sound and feel compared to others? (2K1Jettaz)

I will be tomorrow in Rochester, NY (where the guys at Stratmosphere are) in order for them to look at it and I'll have it fixed (hopefully) with the local shop that installed it.
I talked to Pete on the phone and he told me that it seems to be a coincidence that VR6 owners have fitting problems with that exhaust. He told me there is no difference whatsoever between the 1.8t system and the vr6 system. I'll take his word for it.

I just emailed this link to Pete so he can talk to Milltek in the UK and have them call the local shop tomorrow for instructions and/or suggestions. He will try to get Milltek post here too with their position in this issue although I don't know how possible this is going to be but let's all hope it will happen.
Those of you who are interested in this exhaust, I cannot stop recommending the level of performance i've seen with it. The money you pay is worth it and fitting problems are minor details that can be solved. There is nothing wrong with the system performance-wise!
If Milltek doesn't post, I will post tomorrow with updates. I will try to take pictures although I don't have a digicam but will try to get one...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]I will be tomorrow in Rochester, NY (where the guys at Stratmosphere are) in order for them to look at it and I'll have it fixed (hopefully) with the local shop that installed it.
I talked to Pete on the phone and he told me that it seems to be a coincidence that VR6 owners have fitting problems with that exhaust. He told me there is no difference whatsoever between the 1.8t system and the vr6 system. I'll take his word for it.

I just emailed this link to Pete so he can talk to Milltek in the UK and have them call the local shop tomorrow for instructions and/or suggestions. He will try to get Milltek post here too with their position in this issue although I don't know how possible this is going to be but let's all hope it will happen.
Those of you who are interested in this exhaust, I cannot stop recommending the level of performance i've seen with it. The money you pay is worth it and fitting problems are minor details that can be solved. There is nothing wrong with the system performance-wise!
If Milltek doesn't post, I will post tomorrow with updates. I will try to take pictures although I don't have a digicam but will try to get one... [HR][/HR]​

Thanks so much for your help Nianmuzik., You cleared up alot of ? i had.. So you do feel a power increase? The sound is only a deeper sounding stock sound, Prefect thats what I/m looking for. Does it drone at all on the highway? I hope they call you back with some info. Anyway Thanks again.

·
Registered
92 Posts

I have the Forge exhaust (same system, different name), and I had a tough time with fitment, too -- and I have a 1.8T, so the fitment issues don't seem to be VR6-specific.
I ended up getting mine to fit, though. I just took it to Tim Tomas Tuning (Bay Area, CA) and he worked his magic and spot-welded it into place. Fits just great now, although not quite as tight in the valence cutout as Jman500s ... it sits more like papasuki's (a bit more loose in the cutout). Looks great though.
AND, it performs well. I haven't driven any other exhausts, so I may not be a great source, but I certainly noticed an improvement. The sound is VERY quiet -- barely discernable from stock -- but it has a lower growl and has no drone whatsoever. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
420 Posts
Re: How does a Milltek exhaust sound and feel compared to others? (redshifter)

Has anyone cut that big heavy resonator out of this sytem yet? I would think not, with it being fairly new and expensive, but I am curious to see what kind of growl would result.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Re: How does a Milltek exhaust sound and feel compared to others? (Jman5000)

how does it feel and sound compared to others?
i have had a neuspeed, neuspeed with removed resonator, milltek 2.75", milltek 2.5", and the techtonics 2.5" with an extended custom tip, and now with an under the car hidden tip (which i tried with and without their outlet restiction piece)
all on my 2001 gti vr6.
the neuspeed: nice system, very loud without the resonator...very nice system
the millteks: 2.75" lost a lot of low end torque but still had a nice upper end.
2.5" system was great. mine fit perfectly. had nice gains through out the rev range. the bottom end might still be a little soft. great deep sound while still being very quiet. it is a big heavy system. great choice if you want a quiet ride.
the techtonics: my favorite so far. best gains of all the systems i have tried, it is only slightly better (seat of the pants) than the milltek, but even my wife felt it as a passenger. it felt quicker everywhere. i switched to the under the car hidden tip because i love the sound! it is really loud and deep and roars between 2000 and 3500 rpms. after that the engine screams with the aem (i removed the sound deadening head liner) it's a much lighter system.
this is the best choice of the ones i have tried if you like that roaring vr6 sound.
i can only speak about the ones i have tried,
any of the 3 exhaust would be a fine choice.
if you are only concerned with power gains i would go techtonics.
for sound the choice is obvious since the milltek is for the people who want quiet (but you'll know it's there). and the techtonics roars!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Re: How does a Milltek exhaust sound and feel compared to others? (OLD GTI GUY)

I think that the Jetta miltek exhaust had some fitment issues too. I called up stratmosphere to order a forge dv and I asked about the system for the jetta and they said that the test model was only recently recieved.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Re: How does a Milltek exhaust sound and feel compared to others? (c1gti)

I've got the forge as well...
Mine took less than an hour to install.. most of that time wrestling with the rubber brakets mid car there just ahead of the resonator... man those are a PITA!! specially when part of the lift is in the way heh..
Mine went right on and fit perfect. I did have it spot welded for strength but other than that no real issues.
There is the mid pipe.. that goes between the resonator and the muffler... I think alot of people are trying to align the system starting at the resonator and working back to the muffler... and hence trying to get this mid-pipe to sit absolutely level with the underside of the car/heatshield... Well that pipe isnt designed to sit level... its designed to angle down a bit... therefore when you adjust that pipe first and adjust it level... your muffler hanges crooked!!!
We installed everything first and then adjusted the muffler and tips exactly where I wanted them. THEN, as someone held the muffler/tips in place, we adjusted the mid pipe and the resonator... then tightened all the clamps down... all while holding the tips in place. Get the muffler perfect first and everything else will fall into place.
It may look a bit akward with that pipe turned down just a bit... but it acutally hangs perfect... doesnt hit anything and theres no danger of it scraping.. .unless your going to hang up on the axle and rip it off too heh...
Here is a picture of the underside of a car just to show you which bend i'm talking about... That clamp by the arrow in this picture is actually up just off the resonator on my exhaust.... so this picture isnt accurate... its just to show which bend in the pipe needs to angle down a bit.

Anyways... dunno if that made sense or not lol
basically start at the muffler and work back.. and dont freak if you have to angle that pipe down a little bit...
Heres mine! again 1 hour or maybe a bit less install.. no problems or hassles at all!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.