VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
14,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How exactly does hill descent work? I assume it leaves the car in a very low gear to provide maximum engine braking, but I'm sure engine braking alone isnt' enought to slow the heavy Touareg on a very steep hill. Does it use the brakes too? How does it know how much to use and how does it not overheat the brakes?
Just curious.

· Registered
3,391 Posts
Re: How does hill descent work exactly??? (hawc)

Without getting overly complicated, HDA keeps the Touareg under control when descending a steep hill by controlled brake applications...So, it is primarily a function of the Brake system, but other things must be in place as well...ESP must be on(another brake function), the T-Reg must be in 1st Gear; not 2nd or 3rd, for engine management...Something the current Owner's Manual is a bit vague about, and the reason behind the infamous http://www.VWWebSource.com
disclaimer...The Owner's Manual even states that the steeper the grade the lower the gear required...Duhhhhh!!!
I should not be so harsh...
as this is, no doubt, a translation problem that occured over here...
But that is basically it...not exactly rocket science, but a lot of fun...

Modified by vwguild at 6:43 PM 7-16-2003

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Yeah from what i know, you put it in low gear and with your foot on either the gas or break. it will decend at a speed of 5 mph.
hillaccend is designed to keep the car in one spot agian with your foot off the gas and break it will just sit there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.