VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (lucky_vw_golf)

anywhere from 16.xx-17xx

i ran 16.7 @ 83mph stock(engine) at englishtown last yr. with a slipping clutch, crappy 2.560ft., and 1 seat in the car w/ a 1/4 tank of gas
car weighed 2100 without me(dubs are so heavy http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif )

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (lionheart)

I took my 91 Jetta Coupe 1.8l 8v to the track with full interior 1/2 tank of gas and best i could run was a 18.0...people laughed at me for being so slow but oh well...it wasnt meant to be fast
it sure was a fun car to drive though http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (VeeDubbinJetta91)

Hey Lucky,
You're looking at around ~100hp and ~107tq. 8v's are not fast, period. However...they are VERY durable motors. You could add boost or nitrous without much worry. You can build that thing up to around 140-150hp or so (without boost or nitrous), which would make it a pretty fun car to drive, and probably get it into the 15's.
It's fairly light which is a good thing. You can also drop a few pounds in the A2 pretty easily, making it faster.
IM me if you'd like...I live pretty close and am pretty familiar with the 8v motor. A bunch of us get together in Fullerton every so often to wrench and tweak cars. Or if you wanted to talk about making her a little faster, drop me a line. Good luck! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by URIN 2ND at 10:43 PM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (URIN 2ND)

i should be hitting a 14.9 this weekend in my mk3 8v at a heafty 2400 lbs. but i have a little work done but yeah i know that stock mk3 8v's are about 16.7 but i think that mk2's are a little slower.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

Quote, originally posted by URIN 2ND »
Hey Lucky,
You can build that thing up to around 140-150hp or so (without boost or nitrous), which would make it a pretty fun car to drive, and probably get it into the 15's.

I hate to burst your bubble here, but, if you're only *maybe* gettin' into the 15's with 140-150 HP...learn to drive!!
I have a GX motor (85HP 1.8 8v) with a JH (solid lifter) head, G-grind cam and exhaust...figure about 100-105HP...that's it!! My Caddy weighs 2200lbs as I race and it'll pull 16 flat ALL DAY LONG (check my sig. for it's best ET). If you can't hit 14's out of a 140ish HP 2100 lb. A2, it's NOT the cars fault.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (VolksRacer2)

83 callaway gti 12.50 @ 110 on nitrous 14.60 without nos in a complete car with ac, im running a stock 3a audi engine

·
Registered
817 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (lucky_vw_golf)

i got a 8v jetta and i finally got a chance to race it. maybe its just me cause it was my first time but its not what i like to call fast.. i was in the low 18s. my car is stock except for a TT exhaust.

·
Banned
6,427 Posts

Quote, originally posted by URIN 2ND »
Hey Lucky,
You're looking at around ~100hp and ~107tq. 8v's are not fast, period. However...they are VERY durable motors. You could add boost or nitrous without much worry. You can build that thing up to around 140-150hp or so (without boost or nitrous), which would make it a pretty fun car to drive, and probably get it into the 15's.
It's fairly light which is a good thing. You can also drop a few pounds in the A2 pretty easily, making it faster.
IM me if you'd like...I live pretty close and am pretty familiar with the 8v motor. A bunch of us get together in Fullerton every so often to wrench and tweak cars. Or if you wanted to talk about making her a little faster, drop me a line. Good luck! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

My 16v put down 109whp(it was running like **** back then) and I ran a [email protected] with a 2.36 60' time. With 150hp in a lightened a2, you can run 14's if you know how to drive.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (VDuBJett92)

Quote, originally posted by VDuBJett92 »
i got a 8v jetta and i finally got a chance to race it. maybe its just me cause it was my first time but its not what i like to call fast.. i was in the low 18s. my car is stock except for a TT exhaust.

That's actually just about right. If everything is stock, and you've done no weight reduction, an A2 Jetta with a 1.8 8v isn't going to do much more than a 17.8 or so. Even that would mean that you're getting EVERYTHING out of your set-up. Low 18's is pretty decent for your first time.

·
Banned
6,427 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (VolksRacer2)

Quote, originally posted by VolksRacer2 »

That's actually just about right. If everything is stock, and you've done no weight reduction, an A2 Jetta with a 1.8 8v isn't going to do much more than a 17.8 or so. Even that would mean that you're getting EVERYTHING out of your set-up. Low 18's is pretty decent for your first time.

My friends TDI ran low 17s. Low 18 is embarassingly slow.

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (VDuBJett92)

Just ran my car this weekend a t E-town and my fastest with an 87 GTI stock was 17.8 http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Banned
6,427 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (Flipdriver80)

Quote, originally posted by Flipdriver80 »
Just ran my car this weekend a t E-town and my fastest with an 87 GTI stock was 17.8 http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Weight reduction and some tuning/tune up, along with some practice should get it down to at least low 17s

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (skillton)

We gotta remember that most of the 8vs now have at LEAST 150K miles on them. They are all tired. A fresh one could prolly pull a 16 stock.

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (WhiteG60)

I'm getting headers and a full cat exhaust so we'll se what it can do with the added HP.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: how fast is a 8 valve (lionheart)

Quote, originally posted by lionheart »
anywhere from 16.xx-17xx

i ran 16.7 @ 83mph stock(engine) at englishtown last yr. with a slipping clutch, crappy 2.560ft., and 1 seat in the car w/ a 1/4 tank of gas
car weighed 2100 without me(dubs are so heavy http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif )

ow did u get that time? do u have a slip?
here is a slip of a 16.41
60ft--2.37
330ft--6.84
1/[email protected]
1000ft--13.65
1/[email protected]
i don't know what car thatwas in but my friends 90 GTI
ran a [email protected] and is a CA car
( he can't drive) LOL

·
Registered
203 Posts
haha the last time i went to the local late night drags (like 3 weeks ago) there was a jetta running litterally 20.xxx, he did break into the 19s one run... but dayum thats slow

1 - 19 of 19 Posts