VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering since I had my GLI stolen 2 years ago and it apparently took less than a minute (according to my pole smoking flamer of a neighbor who watched the whole thing from his window but was too busy biting a pillow to call the cops).
I live in an area where the most cars are stolen in my state and the remnants I found of the Jetta lead me to believe their are some people near by that may be eyeing my corrado also. It has the factory alarm, I use a club, detach the radio, and I installed a blinking red LED. But I still wonder how easy it would be to bypass the alarm and take it... Has anyone used some sort of cut off switch ? If so, how was it installed ?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (A2T)

Very hard if you put a price list of reapirs on the window, just like the dealer sticker....I am sure that will scare them away.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (TexasCorradoG60)

quote:[HR][/HR]Very hard if you put a price list of reapirs on the window, just like the dealer sticker....I am sure that will scare them away.
[HR][/HR]​
LOL!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

corrado's are very easy to steal, not as easy as A1's but ridiculously simple. So get an alarm, and 9mm and protect your car.
With such a demand for body parts, engines, interior, it would be easy to chop corrado's and difficult to trace the parts since there are so many in the junkyards etc.
But if you are going to steal a car, why not steal something with at least a little more value? You're gonna get 10 years if its a yugo or a rolls royce, the price really doesn't matter..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Get a real alarm, the factory one is equivalant to having a Radio Shack alarm sticker on your window. Get something nice though don't get the latest alarm they sell at your local Kmart that plugs into the cigarette lighter. A backup battery siren helps too. If they want your car bad enough after getting through a Class A alarm and a backup battery then you could at least say that you gave it your all. Just think, it only takes a few seconds to open the door without breaking a window or bending in your door handle. That fact alone should every VW owner want a new alarm system.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (Corrado2NV)

I heard that if you pop the turn signals out and put the two wires together it'll short your alarm.. is that true?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (Corrado2NV)

With a flatbed any car can get stolen. I once heard of a guy with a 3000 dollar alarm system in a Porsche who parked his car on the street, walked across to his office and looked out his window to see his car being towed off by a flatbed tow truck. He never saw it again. It isnt as hard to steal a corrado as it is a gli (I have both and was an alarm installer for 3 years) but it is very easy considering how flimsy the door handles are made. Thats one of the reasons why I shaved mine and put a piece of metal twice as thick on the back side to keep people from prying mine open. Another trick is to drill into the fender and let the battery drain out. Killing the battery= no alarm you can relocate your battery or place a piece of thick steel beside your battery. Superchargers used to be a big theft item from what I heard. Good thing that most thieves cant drive stick shift cars. They can pry a door open but dont have the coordination to push in a clutch.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

On a serious note. If anyone wants your car bad enough it is gone. I have a Clifford alarm and I installed it myself, I do not trust any shop around. I used to be a car audio/alarm/cellular installer and I still know lots. Make sure the ground wire from the alarm is centered in the chasis of the car, some theives use a portable motorcycle battery to short out alarms, so if you make your ground as far from the shell of the car the better. I also have a backup battery just in case. The alarm is a bitch to get to, if they want to try to rip it out, can't be done easilly. I used to have a pager alarm running in series with the Clifford, but I started asking myself do I really want to show up and possibly be shot. Here in Texas there are a lot of gun totting fools around and any weak-ass punk can pull a trigger.

·
Registered
109 Posts

After my Rado was stolen from the dealer's lot (where it was parked after getting maintenance), I put Lojack in the one I have now so I can sleep at night. At least you have a fighting chance of getting it back if you notice it's gone right away. The basic unit costs no more than a good alarm system. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (CorradoCat)

Although I am fully protected (yeah right) with a Cliffor alarm and a battery backed up siren, I must agree with the others that if they want, they will have it. I do remember reading on the C-List a while back that some C owners used to pull the fuel pump relay out. No fuel, no start, and its quick, neat, and easy. Just don't lose it if you do pull it out
Gopal

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (CorradoGuy)

even easier, wait till your ass comes out in the morning and pistol whip ya. That way you don't damage the purty car

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (CorradoGuy)

I made the fuel pump detachable so I carry it with me when i park the car. I also have a detacable steering wheel, and a detachable clutch (try driving without one..ha!).

I hope you thieves are reading this...stay away from my car!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (mrkrad)

Ok, on the 93+ models that have the blinking red light in the door....don't they have an alarm that disables the fuel pump? Also, I know my friend's 92 has a switch that is depressed by the hood [not sure if mine has it or not]..I'm assuming that is part of the alarm also?
I never really investigated the subject since there are 8 cars sitting in my driveway, all with the keys in the ignition [they're decoys, the corrado is locked up in the barn
].

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (zarman)

My steering wheel detaches too, but I only use it when I don't feel comfortable leaving my car where I parked it or when I'm away from it for 2 or more days.

·
Banned
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (Fahrvergnuugen)

What is wrong with the factory 92 alarm?? It has a starter disable feature that makes it impossible to start the car when the key is not used in the door lock. Also, the alarm siren is loud as f$ck. The doors/hood/trunk are all protected...
I think this, combined with some sort of fuel pump cut off switch hidden somewhere would make it all but impossible to steal unless it was towed away. I dont really mind a break in since I have 0 deductable on theft, I just dont want it stolen.
Im pretty sure the guy who got my GLI 16v 2L has been back to check out my raddo but he hasnt tried for it in a year in a half. Maybe he's gettin as$ raped in prison (hopefully)...Im actually wondering why I havent had any problem yet, and how to make sure I dont ever have more than a break in...
So how to install a cut off switch???... and Chad, how did you make the steering wheel detachable??? Thats cool as sh!T! I also have a Momo Champion - would definitely consider that mod...

[Modified by A2T, 10:23 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (zarman)

Thanks Zarman, I'll just make sure to bring those extra parts when I'm stealing yours. Its nice that you've made a list of what I need to bring to your car. So, next saturday, where are you parking?
quote:[HR][/HR]I made the fuel pump detachable so I carry it with me when i park the car. I also have a detacable steering wheel, and a detachable clutch (try driving without one..ha!).

I hope you thieves are reading this...stay away from my car!
[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
19,819 Posts

whats wrong with the alarm......ok i'll tell you...My father bought a brand new 92' SLC in jan of 93. he had it for exactrly 4 months.....it was parked in front of the building where we lived in manhattan....the car was stolen within 2 minutes..with the alarm activated.....my mother looked out the window, the alarm beeped exactly 2 times, so my dad put on his shoes and ran out the house...by the time he got downstairs the guys were already turning the corner with his car and another black corrado right in front of it....so yes Corrado's are very easy to steal...if u want to prevent that from happening, i suggest pulling out the main coil wire everytime you park. odds are a car theif looking for a corrado wont be carrying around with him a coil wire.....so he wont ever get her started, unless of course its a flat bed doing the work.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (a2a4raddo)

Hey Zarman, how did you go the clutch and fuel pump? Email me if you want to keep it secret.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (a2a4raddo)

quote:[HR][/HR]..if u want to prevent that from happening, i suggest pulling out the main coil wire everytime you park. odds are a car theif looking for a corrado wont be carrying around with him a coil wire.....so he wont ever get her started, unless of course its a flat bed doing the work.[HR][/HR]​
Why in the world would you want to do that? I don't understand why I can't just put a relay in line with the starter control wire and hide the switch somewhere in the passenger compartment. Maybe add a blinking red light as well to deter the amatures. I might just do this before I get my car out next spring. I just had my lock cylinder bashed in with a screw driver, but the fools still couldn't figure out how to get in.

·
Registered
16,256 Posts
Re: How Hard Is It For Someone to Steal My Corrado ?? (vwvr6vw)

you want to install a relay on the coil wire

and add one more item that can fail to the corrado this is an area I'd avoid modifcations. The coild wire is a good choice. a fuel pump switch is good too.
But please don't list ways to break in to the Corrado and if you have listed them please delete your methods. I could list many differant ways as I have parted out corrados and learn a lot about how the cars are assembled and what parts do what. but I would never steal a Corrado or give the knowledge to anybody.
I wish this topic would be deleted and a topic of how to help deter or slow a thief would be opened up in its place.
what do you think CVOVP?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts