VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
As said it's a good idea to spray ahead of time. Once it breaks free your good to go.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Mine was so corroded in-place that I couldn't get anything open-ended (ie: crows foot) to even try to turn it without rounding the corners. Ended up just getting the grinder out and cut the top of the sensor off, leaving the flange that actually threads in. From that point, a 6-point socket and a breaker bar did the trick.

That was with spraying it for two weeks beforehand. And using a torch on it. I put some copper-based anti-seize on the threads of the new ones to prevent that much of a hassle in the future.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fml so your saying it may take a week or two for it to break free? i have till the end of the month to inspect it! is it accesable from the bottom of the car atleast? ill get a pipe and a few guys to pull until it comes free if i have to. is there a chance itl break inside the bung?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
fml so your saying it may take a week or two for it to break free? i have till the end of the month to inspect it! is it accesable from the bottom of the car atleast? ill get a pipe and a few guys to pull until it comes free if i have to. is there a chance itl break inside the bung?
It is easily accessible from underneath. Just need a floor jack and two jack stands. Lift the front end enough for you to comfortably be underneath with tools.

My vote is that if you're sure that it is bad and are fine with not wanting to keep it as a spare just in case.. cut the top of it off so you can put a 6-point socket on there. That's your best chance of removal. I think my front sensor was still functional, but was occasionally throwing codes (no activity, heating circuit malfunction). I wanted to keep it as a spare, but after realizing that it most likely was not coming out, I cut the top off of it and put an impact socket on there with a breaker bar and a pipe.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im getting p0134 and p0135 so i think its bad, i can clear it and it instantly comes back on, i cant pass inspection and the rare ocassion when it stays off for ten min as soon as it comes back on the car bogs down and has alot less power so i feel as if its bad!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.