VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I had it all figured out. I was going to buy a new sport compact in the spring. Either a Mazdaspeed 3 or Cobalt SS Turbo. They were the perfect blend of performance and value...and the two cars that I was pretty much assuring myself I'd end up with. I was done looking at other vehicles...as there was no real point.
Then today at work one of my interviews was cancelled...which thus allowed me to have some free time on the computer. So for grins and giggles, I went on to the BMW website and started dabbling with the 1 series configuring thingamajigger. Next thing you know I had one built for a shade over 32k dollars. Wow, a great value...I wonder when my dealer is going to be getting one in so I can check it out.
*RING RING*
"Hello, when are you guys getting your first 1 series in?"
"Well we just got our first 135i in today, and it's quite beautiful"
"really?"
"Yeah we've all been having a blast with the customers driving it all day, would you like to come down and take it for a ride?"
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
"alright we look forward to seeing you"

So after work I fly straight to my dealer, and much to my dismay there is no one series.
So I talk to the manager and he explains that it's out on a test drive. So he tells me to just hang out and check out the inventory until it comes back. So I started to wander around for a few minutes when I heard a rumbling straight six pull up the drive.
And there it was...and holy hell was it fine! It was metallic black with red leather interior. Loaded with every option...and equipped with the six speed automatic. I don't care what people say....pictures don't do this car justice. It really is sooo much more incredible in the flesh. I was instantly in love.
So after gawking at the exterior for a few moments...the sales guy slaps on a plate and I jump in the drivers seat. The first thing I noticed was how the sports seats really do wrap around your body like a glove. Initially I felt rather constricted, but as the test drive went on I began to appreciate the support that they provided into the bends and felt perfectly at home in them. Also the dash materials were definitely strokeable. With the high gloss black trim I felt it had a much more upline appearance than the dash of the previous E46's.
So I start it up with the push button ignition and am immediately wowed by the bark from the exhaust. I gave the throttle a little love tap and the engine gave a beautiful intoxicating rev that I've never heard before from a a stock bmw. I knew this was gonna be good...
So I head out on the main drag and wait for an open straight and pin the throttle. The car after a very VERY minimal hesistation drops a gear and lunges forward with amazing force. I clicked of 90 mph before I even knew what had happened. And again...that engine wail was absolutely spine tingling! There is absolutely no need for an aftermarket exhaust with this cars setup imho, its THAT good. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

The sales guy then directs me on to a curve laden back road where he encouraged me to steer into the bends with as much enthusiasm as I liked. So I settled into a groove and began to go to work on the bends. The car remained extremely surefooted and predictable as I tossed it into the bends. Having driven a great deal of E46's, I found the 1 series to feel much more tossable and nimble in comparison. I know a few people have complained about the steering feeling somewhat numb, but I didn't find that to be the case at all. The transmission was excellent too. With the paddle shifters, I started to feel like Schumi working my way around a track. The exhaust barked as each downshift was met with the perfect rev match. I hadn't felt this giddy in a car since I drove the Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
So after having my fun, I was directed back to the dealer where I had to be removed by force from the drivers seat.
I went back in to the dealer and began to work the numbers on both a 135i like I had driven and the 128i that I had spec'd online. For a two year lease on a 128i at 15k miles a year and 2k down...I was at 465 a month. A four year lease under the same mileage restrictions was actually more expensive at roughly $486. (When equipped with the sport pack, heated seats and HIDs) The 135i in a six speed with everything except the premium pack came in at $686 and some change with similar conditions.
So basically, I've screwed myself. I drove the top shelf model and fell in love with it. However, I will "settle" (lol at using the word settle) for a 128i I think and take advantage of that lease offer if it still exists by the end of next month. I'm sure 230 horsepower and a manual transmission with the sport pack will do me just fine.
The dealer is going to let me know when they get a 128 manual in so I can make sure that is definitely what I want.
As for the other compact cars, they are in the running still. The key virtue that they provide is that I would actually finance those to own, where as I would only be leasing the 1 series. However, I go through my cars like water, so I'm thinking a two year lease on this car would better suit my lifestyle than a financed sport compact. That and the free maintainance is hard to ignore...
Hmm...however, I'm sure if I sold my kidney...I could probably swing the 135i instead.
Financial devestation never looked or sounded so good...

Oh and on the way home from the dealer...their Jarez Black M3 pulled along side me on the main drag and dropped a gear and promptly pulled away like I was standing still. It sounded glorious...and looked absolutely evil. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
18,078 Posts
Re: (hugoaswho)

Quote, originally posted by hugoaswho »

do you even know what im talking about?
have you sat in the car?
gone for a ride in the car?
played with the car for a while while your GF bitched and moaned? (well not really
)

· Registered
6,064 Posts
I just can't see myself ever paying upwards of $500/month for a lease, much less close to $700.
For that kind of money per month, I expect to be building equity.
More power to you if you have that kind of disposable income, though.

· Registered
3,603 Posts
Re: How I totally assured my future financial ruin (RollingInDubs)

$686 a month for the 135i huh? I probably have to mention this to the old man. He's looking to get a brand new Bimmer. How much money down, what options, etc. for $686?

· Registered
431 Posts
Re: How I totally assured my future financial ruin (RollingInDubs)

.. i am afraid to drive this car, hell, i'm afraid to get within arm's length of it due to me probably having the same reaction... i did a triple take when i saw one (same, black, red leather) at the local beemer place today.. it looked like a bright shiny new black bmw 135i with red leather interior, but i could sense that deep within that car exists a reason shattering permagrin inducing black hole in which i'm better off avoiding for the time being... at least until i have a better paying job... it's a good thing i guess it wasn't there when i swung past after work...
ps. i had the same thought about selling my kidney, as brief and absurd as it was

· Registered
111 Posts
Re: (Nourdmrolnmt)

Quote, originally posted by Nourdmrolnmt »
you pay for the use you get out of a car, instead of an extra amount for use that wont its a very good alternative.

that's crap,
all you are left with is nothing at the end of the lease and to throw more money at the "what will I drive to work now" question. no trade in, no equity in whatever one could have bought... money plain and simple out the window leaving one the illusion they "lived large" for the term of the lease and now have nothing to show for it. tell me how that's a good alternative...
I'm all for life's too short but come on...

Modified by vwalfa at 7:03 PM 3-17-2008

· Registered
'14 ML350, '12 Miata, '10 MINI, '03 FLHTCUI
5,586 Posts
Re: (vwalfa)

Look into European Delivery and cut down the options. There's no way you can't get that 135i under $500.
I just have Sport and Leather on my 335i and did Euro Delivery. My 3 yr lease w/12K miles per year is under $550 with nothing but fees and sec deposit down.
And if you don't understand how leases work, don't bother giving us the renting rant...

· Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote, originally posted by vwalfa »

that's crap,
all you are left with is nothing at the end of the lease and to throw more money at the "what will I drive to work now" question. no trade in, no equity in whatever one could have bought... money plain and simple out the window leaving one the illusion they "lived large" for the term of the lease and now have nothing to show for it. tell me how that's a good alternative...
I'm all for life's too short but come on...

Modified by vwalfa at 7:03 PM 3-17-2008

I'll guess I'll come out and say it...
I'm fiscally irresponsible. I love lighting money on fire and throwing it into the sky in order to see which way the wind is blowing. However, I am improving though...
I'll be better off in a year or so, as I plan on opening up a snowmobile repair shop in daytona beach and will also be investing in some beachfront property in Nevada. Once I do all that, I should be able to finance a 135i then and pay for it in cash!
What do you have to say to that??!! HUH?!

· Registered
4,889 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwalfa »

i still can't get over leasing...I just don't get it

A car is a depreciating asset. With leasing, you just agree in advance the cost of depreciation after a set period of time. BMWs have a high resale value as well as factory leasing incentives that make leasing quite a reasonable decision.
What's not to understand?
Renting an apartment...now THAT is dumb (say I, as I type from my rented apartment).
I can't wait until I know I'll live in a city long enough to buy a damned house.
135 sounds like an awesome car. Totally unsuited to my needs, but I'm impressed that it even exists.

· Registered
6,064 Posts
Re: (kptaylor)

Quote, originally posted by kptaylor »
Look into European Delivery and cut down the options. There's no way you can't get that 135i under $500.
I just have Sport and Leather on my 335i and did Euro Delivery. My 3 yr lease w/12K miles per year is under $550 with nothing but fees and sec deposit down.
And if you don't understand how leases work, don't bother giving us the renting rant...

So at the end of 36 months you will have paid close to $20,000, probably around half of the sticker price of the car. Then you will have to give the car back. I fail to see anything mysterious about this concept, and I also fail to see how that amounts to anything but renting a fairly expensive car for 3 years.
Care to set the record straight?

· Registered
'14 ML350, '12 Miata, '10 MINI, '03 FLHTCUI
5,586 Posts
Re: (Pijany)

Quote, originally posted by Pijany »

So at the end of 36 months you will have paid close to $20,000, probably around half of the sticker price of the car. Then you will have to give the car back. I fail to see anything mysterious about this concept, and I also fail to see how that amounts to anything but renting a fairly expensive car for 3 years.
Care to set the record straight?

Okay, I'll break it down using my last car. I had an Audi A4 with the UltraSport package. At the end of my lease the residual was $15K. I sold it for $22K. If you choose the correct car, negotiate the sales price and take advantage of supported lease rates or residuals like Audi and BMW, you can come out ahead.
Also, I'm not 18, I'm 43. I can afford to have newer cars every 3-4 years. so I do. If it's better to rent than buy, that's what I'll do. It's a financial decision that you have to carefully weigh each time.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.