VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking at 4Runners for many years. Always thought they were insanely awesome for the longest time. Never needed the capability a runner offers…but oh that boxy style and roll down back window! But after a bunch of drives of a bunch of different vehicles (with multiple returns to the 4Runner), I ended up going for a (non-TCL favorite) vehicle that fit my needs waaaay better. Pretty excited to be out of my old 4spd Forester and into a 2021 Honda Passport ~ Touring.

Now while my bro credibility is totally shot and my future rock crawling YouTube channel will never get started… I’m sure my Passport will keep up with all the other 4Runners, Jeeps, and new Broncos in line at the Starbucks drive thru.

As a lot of TCL are now thinking...WHY WOULD YOU PICK THIS OVER A 4RUNNER???

After Carvana hauled away my Subaru it was crunch time. Decisions had to me made. I really tried to overlook the shortcomings of the Toyota. I determined I could deal with the horrible mileage, 5spd transmission, lack of creature comforts, etc…but the nail in the coffin for me was on two separate test drives and many seat adjustments – my legs kept going numb after 35 minutes. So that closed the door on that chapter. Sad Trombone. Here's to hoping it's improved in the 6th gen.

Back to the Honda - admittedly some things on the passport are a bit goofy, but as an overall package it hit the mark enough for me to pull the trigger. Storage. That Honda 6-cylinder. Good ride. Surprisingly quiet. And enough off-road capability (whatever Honda calls their version of SH-AWD) for what I want to do. I look forward to posting some updates after I get a few more miles this Spring/Summer.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i actually think this and the ridgeline finally evolved to the point where they look pretty good. To bad this still has the 9sp (yes i have the 9at also). At least honda/acura seems to have smoothed it the best they can in the latest versions i've tried.

Reactions: Stangy

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,754 Posts
I really dig these, congrats on the purchase. I tried to get my in-laws to get one of these since they don't need to space/size of the current Pilot. Well, they didn't listen about bought a new Pilot. This shares the driveway with their old (~'08) Pilot.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i mean main reason to pick passport is the styling difference, if not honestly the fuel econ and acceleration is the same, off road ability also the "same" (extra inch of ground clearance on passport). I just googled and technically the passport got worse on the EPA somehow and lost 2 on the hwy lol. I suspect real world is a wash anyway.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
That's a lot more capable off-road than you think it is. It's no body on frame tank, but as long as you can keep some wheels on the ground you're good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I drive a highly modified 5th gen 4runner that is solely our backcountry travel vehicle. You definitely made the right choice. If the majority of 4runner owners were realistic about their use cases I think they would probably have done the same thing. The 4runner is slow, handle likes a pig, inefficient and filled with sorely outdated technology. The only thing its good for is rock solid reliability and durability which some of us take advantage of to build our dedicated offroad vehicles.

That Passport will probably do the majority of stuff that self proclaimed "Overlanders" do anyways ie. dirt forest roads. So enjoy it, you made the right choice!

·
Registered
26,496 Posts
Nice pickup! These are properly quick, that’s a great engine, and is a vastly better overall vehicle for how many owners will use it.

I had a 4R as a rental for 7 days last year. It was like driving a brand new vehicle that was 10-15 years older. The only tech it offered was a super grainy backup camera, and it had the same terrible front seating position as every other 4R I’ve driven (floor is too high). I get why people love them—they are basically unkillable, simple, great for off-roading—but I would not have one as a daily driver.

·
Registered
Various Zippy Cars
2,055 Posts
Love it. Just picked up a Ridgeline (3/4 of a Pilot!) and love it!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The Honda V6 + modern 9AT (complaints about it and all) are absolute gems compared to the 4.0/5AT in the 4Runner. The Passport literally does 0-60 2-3 seconds faster and about 3 decades smoother. Given your realistic discussion of use case, etc., you made the right choice.

I put nearly 100k miles on a 5th Gen 4Runner and while I loved how simple and rugged it was, that was a hell of a lot of miserable freeway miles getting to and from the weekend off-road spots. As everyone in this thread has said, that last 10% of capability comes at a very high cost for the average driver. These Passports are really cool! Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
wow.. way too much Honda love in here for TCL, especially for a passport 😆

I imagine the fuel economy is because of the ride height increase, such a drrrrrrag.

I should add, I see these things everywhere (y)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was there a chance you could have gotten it in Black Forest Pearl?
I think Honda eliminated the dark green color for the 21 model year so that was off the table.
There is a black-brown still available and it kinda looks like root beer which is kind of a unique color.

Thank you for your donation. Message me if you want some Honda swag.
(y) Mmmm. Stickers. Swag. Heck Yeah.

Love it. Just picked up a Ridgeline (3/4 of a Pilot!) and love it!
Thanks! I think I may have picked up my vehicle on the same day as you - as I was reading through your thread I was thinking...
Jeeze..maybe I should have gotten the Ridgeline?

wow.. way too much Honda love in here for TCL, especially for a passport 😆
I should add, I see these things everywhere (y)
LOL - yeah - not exactly a TCL darling but it really fit the bill for what I was looking to get.
As for seeing Passports around - yeah, not so much in my area (Pittsburgh, PA)...
But I swear every 3rd car on the road is a Pilot.

The Honda V6 + modern 9AT (complaints about it and all) are absolute gems compared to the 4.0/5AT in the 4Runner.
Honestly have read through your 4Runner posts many times over. You do capture some legit Kodak moments in that now gone blue beast.
With the bikes on the back and your dog hanging out the rear window - it's the kind of stuff I might spy in Peloton Magazine.
But in your writing you go into quite a bit of detail about the 4Runner shortcomings and I took some of it to heart.
Appreciate your stories John - they helped factor in to some random internet persons choice. :) Thank you!
And please keep writing and posting. Great stuff.

·
Registered
20,066 Posts
I put nearly 100k miles on a 5th Gen 4Runner and while I loved how simple and rugged it was, that was a hell of a lot of miserable freeway miles getting to and from the weekend off-road spots. As everyone in this thread has said, that last 10% of capability comes at a very high cost for the average driver. These Passports are really cool! Enjoy!
What did you end up getting after your Outback again? We are pretty seriously flirting with the idea of a Tacoma SR but they (and all Tacomas, really) are kind of hard to find at the moment.

·
Premium Member
18,851 Posts
Nice choice. I think it's a great buy.

I feel like all of Honda got a little boost from designing/building the TypeR and went all in on "make a great vehicle that sells", not just "make a vehicle that sells".

Oh, and my wagon will likely be replaced with a Ridgeline. The more I dork around with trucks I think I want, the better the Ridgeline looks. It's like it gets a magical makeover every time I look away.

Reactions: oidoglr

·
Registered
34,663 Posts
Congrats! I almost thought, wait, the 4Runner comes with a 5-speed manual? :LOL:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Haha. Thanks OP for pointing me to this thread. I missed have missed it when doing a search, probably due to the title. Your needs in a vehicle and thoughts about the 4runner mimic mine. Only difference is the AWD sport is what I am looking at.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
What's with the 401k reference?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts