VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey... Just wondering about the abs, if it's necessary.... I mean, the brake system should work without it right? I barely get any type of snow/ice weather or anything that I can see the abs would be useful.
I've been getting the abs light coming on every ow and then as well as noticing the abs kicking in a few times when goin I've bumps in the road.
Wondering if I really need to get it in the shop as I just spent 600 in misc repairs.....

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
i have a 2000 jetta, abs hasn't worked since i bought it in march of this year. i dont think it can be turned off. so no you do not "need" to get the abs fixed.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Hey... Just wondering about the abs, if it's necessary.... I mean, the brake system should work without it right? I barely get any type of snow/ice weather or anything that I can see the abs would be useful.
I've been getting the abs light coming on every ow and then as well as noticing the abs kicking in a few times when goin I've bumps in the road.
Wondering if I really need to get it in the shop as I just spent 600 in misc repairs.....
Actually, snow is one of those situations when threshold braking can be just slightly better than ABS, with an excellent driver. ABS lets you steer and brake at the same time, which comes in handy in many situations (yet better with (ESC), and virtually always leads to shorter braking distance.

If your ABS module is anything like the one in the Passat, it is an internal wire connection that breaks due to vibration or other causes. There are several places out there (e.g., Module Master) you can ship your module to and have it fixed, with 5-year warranty or so, for relatively little money. You can even drive your car with the module removed. Just make sure first it's not just a sensor.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Pull ABS fuse, job done. Did this to all my audis.

·
Banned
53,531 Posts
Just be aware that your insurance carrier will have the right to decline your claims and anyone you would hit can sue you and likely win. ABS is a very important safety feature and is not to be confused with traction control.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
I have yet to do this lol. I just hit the button everytime I get in the car which is annoying -.-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, that didn't do it.... Pulled the one marked ABS according to the diagram inside the fuse box
but not only did the light stayed on now I have a red BRAKE light that is also on.
I just put it back in for now....maybe there's a different one?

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Bear in mind your potential legal liability and insurance coverage issues if you're involved in an accident with non-functioning ABS.
Oh hush you ;)

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
20,818 Posts
ABS cannot be turned off. All of the ATE MK20 pumps have ABS.

ABS is useful in panic stops where you have better control of the car, ie steering.

If you have EDL/ASR and don't need that... then you can buy the ABS only version (2.0 & TDI) and code the system accordingly.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
The ABS system actually broke on my car a few years ago and I've never noticed any difference in ANYthing...
You are probably a very careful driver, then, leaving plenty of distance, and with not too many idiots around you. :thumbup:

However, for the average or even perhaps aggressive driver, it's well worth the $150 or whatever to have the module repaired, IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.