VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 GTi VR6 and have had a few problems that were throwing my CEL. I think I fixed all those problems so I had my CEL cleared. I need to get my car inspected now but I know if i don't drive long enough after clearing the CEL then I will fail the "OBD Readiness Test" So does anyone know how long, or how many miles it takes to complete a full cycle so that I can pass the OBD readiness test?

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
yeah it will come back after you drive it 10 to 15 or so....i had that thing happpened to my car and especially i live in seattle. i have to pass emission b4 i could get my tabs...good luck

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How long to complete a 'cycle' after CEL clearing (nikocb)

It can't be only 10 miles. Because last time I had my codes cleared I drove about 80 miles and took my car in for inspection. I failed because I didn't pass the OBD reainess test. They said it was because I had my codes cleared and didnt drive far enough. A day later my CEL came back on.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
37,931 Posts

Its called the drive cycle, and it can vary depending on driving style, temperature, and overall conditions. I am not sure about PA, but in GA, you can have all but TWO readiness codes set to pass.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: How long to complete a 'cycle' after CEL clearing (Metallitubby)

hmm, i see....that makes more sense.... is there anyway i can know if completed the drive cycle yet?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

Bruce told me to just drive like 100 miles if i had it cleared. But mine clears on its own sometimes...so i really shouldn't have a problem.
I don't know what the actual 'cycle' time or mileage is. Sorry Nick...

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well I've driven 160 miles since I cleared the CEL so I guess that means I've completed a cycle

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
37,931 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nikocb »
Well I've driven 160 miles since I cleared the CEL so I guess that means I've completed a cycle

there is a way to find out, but you'd need an OBD Scantool or VAG COM to see if your readiness tests are set. Pretty much the way it works now for emissions is that we are driving the emissions testing machine around with us instead of them "sniffing" the tailpipe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts