VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that title would grab someone's attention... as you can see from my username, I've always had problems getting my B3 to run consistantly. As of late, the main problem was getting the car to idle correctly. Well, after banging my head trying to figure out where the problem was and testing everything under the hood, I decided to start from scratch and the Bentley manual to examine every possible solution. I had a shop change the in-tank fuel pump when I had first bought the car, but since I was going to go by the book I went ahead and unplugged the fuel outlet from the in-tank pump, bypassed the relay, turned the ignition on to get the thing to pump... and nothing happened. I thought that maybe I had read the instructions wrong, so I tried to turn the car over... and it started up! It ran better at that moment than it had ever run the entire time I had owned the car, and kept running for more than 10 minutes. I thought maybe the guys at that shop had plugged the pump in backwards, so I removed both lines from the in-tank pump and started it again... and it runs great! Revved it up and everything. There are only two possibilities I can think of that could explain what was happening, and I wanted to see if anyone could give me any ideas.
1) The shop that was supposed to change the in-tank pump never actually did the work, or the pump has gone bad very quickly; either way, the main fuel pump is trying to pull fuel through a dead device.
2) Someone somehow in the past bypassed the in-tank pump and made the car work on the main pump only.
There's nothing I can really do if the shop didn't put the pump in; that was almost a year ago and it would be a huge hassle to deal with. Has anyone ever tried to bypass the tank pump in their car before? And how long would the car run with just the gas in the lines? I'm going to take the pump out tonight to see what it looks like; I'll keep everyone informed.

Modified by StartDangIt at 11:54 PM 5-8-2003

Modified by StartDangIt at 11:56 PM 5-8-2003

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
That is odd. If the main pump is doing all the work, its days are numbered. It's not designed to pull that much. CIS injection systems require really high preasure. The main pump sorta over loads if its working all by itself.
Very odd problem

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.