Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Uber Wagon sucks

Votes: 8 14.8%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long would TCL members be willing to wait on a new car before getting impatient. I'm not talking about special cars, mainly your normal daily Civic/Corolla/Elantra, etc.... appliance.

A week, a month, a year?

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
It depends on the car. Family car? Not waiting.

I am going on 6 months with my Miata Club, and I still don't have it yet.

There are other cars like a 911 GT3 that I would be willing to wait a LONG, LONG time for....if that's what I wanted.

·
Registered
13,112 Posts
Depends on what you mean by a "special car." If the bar for "special" is something like a Cayman GT4, than there are cars below that level I'd wait a long time for. If "Special" is anything more interesting than a Camry, I'm probably not waiting more than a month for one.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2018 VW GTI
22,719 Posts
In the past, I would have preffered to pick something off of the lot because I want the shiny new toy now.

But helping someone with buying a new car when there's literally nothing on the lot to choose from has opened my eyes to how cool customizing exactly what you want (and don't want) in your new car can be.

So I may order my next car regardless of the on-the-ground situation at the dealers.

How long would I wait? I'm not sure what a reasonable expectation would be so I guess it depends on the car.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I said 6 months, for whatever I can afford (aka nothing super special). A PTS Porsche or something? Up to 2 years then.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
It depends on the car and production volumes/orders, but even before 2020, it could take 3-4 months to order, manufacture, and deliver a new car. Now, it's really all up in the air, but 6+ months is normal from what I've read. So, anything less than that, for a new car order at least, is really quick; status-quo dealership expectation.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I'll order a car that has a la carte options because I'll never find what I want on a lot.

But if it's a car where everything is bundled into trim lines and they're basically all the same except color and 'options' which are nothing more than bogus accessories like cargo nets and floormats that can be bought over the counter like a VW or most Japanese cars, I'll just lurk dealers on Sundays until I can catch one off the truck in plastic.

For an ordered car, I have and would wait 6ish months. Interest wanes if delivery isn't happening until nearly the next model year is on the ground...need to order in the first half of the model year and get it in the first half of the model year.

·
Registered
13,112 Posts
Over a year. I already look pretty far ahead at what's new in the pipeline to decide on future purchases, so ordering them that early would be totally fine.
I think uncertainty is a bigger issue than raw time. I don't plan to replace my current daily until around 2026, so I could theoretically sign on with some car that has a 4 year waiting period. But long wait periods usually go along with quite a bit of uncertainty as to that date. You go too far into the future, and it gets too difficult to determine whether you are really going to want to buy a car on that date or whether other options might come up in the interim. You might say that there aren't any cars with waiting lists that long, but the first Cybertruck depositors put their money down around 4 years ago and are still waiting.

·
Registered
'21 Muskmobile M3 Dual Motor, '18 e-Golf
3,657 Posts
Put my Cybertruck order in about a year ago, I'm not expecting it to be available in Finland before 2025 so I guess 4 years if that counts? For any normal car that's already on the market I would wait 6 months tops.

·
Registered
2018 GTI SE 3 Pedals
853 Posts
Over a year. Nearly had one a few months ago, but then the Felicity Ace sank, killing those hopes. Then Putin went nuts and shut down the factory and even when they restarted it, they forgot how to make manuals, so I'm still waiting, don't really have any expectation of when it might get here. But I've got wheels for it, might go ahead and order a shift knob and exhaust too.

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
17,728 Posts
I never wait for anything. I only shop for cars when my lease is up or my current car has issues. So I'd visit autotrader for local inventory, deal with the internet manager for a couple of days, and go get the one that's willing to negotiate (or sell for MSRP) in this case. I'd rather settle for something than wait to get ripped off. That's just me, and there's nothing wrong with waiting for something you really like. My brother is currently waiting for a Sienna Minivan for about a month now, but I think he's gonna get something else if something doesn't come up in 12 months' time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I waited about a month for my Tacoma. I probably could have waited 2-3 months for it. Only risk, is the vehicle I was replacing was 15 years old with almost 200k on it. I wouldn’t be that happy if an expensive repair was needed during the waiting period.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts