VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of your coilpacks got f'ed up. How many miles would be the most that you drive with a shot coilpack?
This is the third time that at least one of the coilpacks has gone bad on the 2002 1.8T. Today it happened on my way to work while cruising at 60mph on the interstate. The car held up fine on the highway, but obviously, at low rpm's, the thing just wanted to bog out on me.
I drove about 8 miles from the time that the check engine light came on, to get to my job. I have the car parked outside right now and I'm not hesitating to drive it back to the house (15miles) instead of calling AAA to tow me for free because I'm starting to shy away from VW, as I've been a Corrado (vr6 turbo) owner for 4 years and know all about putting $ into vw's...
Anyhow, the car is nearing the end of it's lease so I'm thinking of bringing the car in on Monday morning and letting VW know how much the car sucked.
Oh well, the new A4 6 spd is on it's way...hopefully the coilpacks on that car don't go kaboom as much......

·
Registered
14,374 Posts
Re: How long would you drive if... (R E M U S 13)

I drove 70 miles no prblems, just slow as hell

·
Registered
2,960 Posts

I guess it kind of depends on how bad the coil is blown.
when mine went my car could barely move. hills were definitely a problem.
I guess since you are reaching the end of the lease you probably don't care, but with a coilpack not functioning, unburnt fuel might make it into your catalytic converter and cause problems.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts

Quote, originally posted by R E M U S 13 »
one of your coilpacks got f'ed up.

No farther than the nearest VW dealer. In my case, I'm never more than 20 miles away from a dealer in my normal travels, so that'd be my maximum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts