VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,740 Posts
Re: How loud will a TDI race down pipe be? (golf_tdi_kid)

It will be louder. More turbo noise and exhaust fumes will be stronger. Maybe 1-2 hp gain. Not worth the money in my opinion. Plus its illegal to drive it on roads without a Cat. Stick with the tried and true methods of gaining power: chip, nozzles, injector pump upgrade etc. Joey

· Registered
11,774 Posts

It will be noisier/dronier, and the turbo whistle can be heard almost a mile away.
It won't sound like a Civic with a fart can, but it will be noticeably louder than if you only had a mufflerectomy. However, you'll get used to it after a few days. It's not as loud as a Subaru WRX or Honda Civic with a loud exhaust, and it's quite quiet on the highway.
I have a GHL 2.5" non-cat downpipe, stock cat-back piping, and no muffler and I have gotten used to the noise level. At WOT, near redline, there's a loud roar that's pretty distinct, probably from the VNT vanes at full-spread. Turbo whistle is very apparent too.
I'll try to record some sound clips once I get my hands on some suitable equipment.
As for performance gains, I did feel an improvement in acceleration. Turbo lag seems to have decreased and there is less lag between shifts when driving the car at WOT. I have never dynoed my car, but after installing the GHL downpipe and driving around for a week, the car seems to pull harder and experience less spool-up lag.

Modified by Deception at 5:24 PM 11-19-2004

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How loud will a TDI race down pipe be? (Deception)

thanks for the info!
i basically do everything myself and. well i did a mufflerectomy, lowering springs, turbo gauge install and various other things.
with this knowledge level can i put the downpipe on myself?
i have all the proper tools (welder wrenches and whatnot) and have worked with exhaust many times before.
all im asking is what it the difficulty of installing the downpipe?

· Registered
11,774 Posts

Here's a review I wrote on the GHL downpipe: Click here
You can install the downpipe yourself, no problem. I would recommend doing it on a lift though, since the nuts on the turbo can be a pain to reach especially if you're lying underneath the car.
I would go with the GHL over the Techtonics and Supersprint.

· Registered
11,774 Posts
Re: How loud will a TDI race down pipe be? (VAGaddict)

Quote, originally posted by VAGaddict »
A TDI has a CAT? Forgive me for I know nothing about diesel but I thought diesel had no cats?

The TDI comes with an HC catalyst.
You're partially right, some diesel vehicles don't have cats. Some older pickups didn't IIRC.

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Re: How loud will a TDI race down pipe be? (Deception)

One of the guys at our recent Dyno Days shootout had the GHL exhaust, no cat and had the exhaust dumping just ahead of the rear wheel. you could certainly here the car coming and you could REALLY hear the turbo....it sounded like the car was equipped with a monster turbo unit but he said it was stock.
The noise wasn't bad or terribly loud, but you could definitely hear the car coming as it approached. I have no idea about noise levels while cruising on the hiway, but that may be an issue if you wish to cruise in silence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.