VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you start to feel bad about our current gasoline situation, think back to the seventies:

The year is 1973. Middle East Conflict causes a severe gas shortage - OPEC embargos oil for several weeks following conflict between Israel and it's neighbors. The result is that gas prices increase by 300% and some gas stations will only sell you gas in 10-gallon increments to prevent running out of fuel, which usually happens anyway. Can you imagine filling up some of these cars with only 10 gallons of gas and having to be satisfied with that? How many can you name?

The year is 1979, the Iranian revolution leads to a second fuel crisis.
How many cars can you name in these two photos?

·
Registered
2006 Lexus GS300, 2011 Nissan Leaf
36,950 Posts
Re: How many cars can you name? (Taimar2)

First pic:
Left, first row:
67-68 Chrysler Imperial/New Yorker, Checker Cab
First row on left turning into gas station:
Dart/Valiant, 73 Caprice/Impala hardtop, LTD wagon (?), can't make out the two cars under the canopy.
Two cars on the corner blocked by line:
73 Nova (the 4 door vinyl top), 71 or 72 Plymouth Satellite Wagon
Second row, from right entering gas station:
Olds Cutlass Supreme, Impala wagon, 70 Cuda, Ford Country Squire (?), Bug (?), can't make out the last car
On the cross street, in traffic:
73 Fury or Satellite taxi cab, Pinto, Coronet taxi cab, Bug (duh), don't know the rest
First two cars across the street:
71 or 72 Cutlass, 71-73 Coupe deVille, after that I don't know.
Second pic:
66 Chevelle (300 maybe?), late 70's Corolla, 77-79 Caprice/Impala wagon, 73-77 Malibu wagon, 76-78 LTD wagon/Country Squire, beyond that, I don't know except to guess that the vans are GM or Dodge. Probably GM.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Re: How many cars can you name? (uiringuhamu)

I was in those lines in a '63 Cadillac El Dorado and a '73 Pinto Stationwagen! The Pinto we could fill up any day of the week, but the Caddy had special days, if I remember right we were on Odd days. It was determined by the last letter on your license plate here in Texas.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: How many cars can you name? (04UberSport_Dolphin)

Quote, originally posted by 04UberSport_Dolphin »
seriously, up in the northeast we are complaining about 2.20/gal for 93 octane, that really is nothing compared to how bad it could be.

Please, that's nothing. Here in the Bay Area, it's $2.39/gal for 87 octane. That's right, $2.39/gal for 87 octane.

·
Registered
27,945 Posts
Re: How many cars can you name? (Patrick Arena)

Quote, originally posted by Patrick Arena »
Dart/Valiant

I drove my parents '72 Valiant Scamp from '79 to '83 when I got my first new car, a VW.
The Valiant was a GREAT Car! The 225 slant six was a fantastic engine.
My first car before the Valiant was a '74 Pinto.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Re: How many cars can you name? (Taimar2)

I can remember the 79 crisis. My family took a road trip to Calaveras County (N. Cal) and we borrowed a friend's diesel Mercedes for the trip.
During the gas crisis, having diesel was key. Diesel Mercedes were quite the "in" thing at the time.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Re: How many cars can you name? (Patrick Arena)

Quote, originally posted by Patrick Arena »
First pic:
Left, first row:
67-68 Chrysler Imperial/New Yorker, Checker Cab
First row on left turning into gas station:
Dart/Valiant, 73 Caprice/Impala hardtop, LTD wagon (?), can't make out the two cars under the canopy.
Two cars on the corner blocked by line:
73 Nova (the 4 door vinyl top), 71 or 72 Plymouth Satellite Wagon
Second row, from right entering gas station:
Olds Cutlass Supreme, Impala wagon, 70 Cuda, Ford Country Squire (?), Bug (?), can't make out the last car
On the cross street, in traffic:
73 Fury or Satellite taxi cab, Pinto, Coronet taxi cab, Bug (duh), don't know the rest
First two cars across the street:
71 or 72 Cutlass, 71-73 Coupe deVille, after that I don't know.
Second pic:
66 Chevelle (300 maybe?), late 70's Corolla, 77-79 Caprice/Impala wagon, 73-77 Malibu wagon, 76-78 LTD wagon/Country Squire, beyond that, I don't know except to guess that the vans are GM or Dodge. Probably GM.

Were you the one that listed off those cars last time? if so, you are INSANE http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts