VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
obviously ghetto, but for this weekend (waterfest) i'm worried about my car looking like hell, and anything i put on will be better than the car is now.
i've got KYB gr-2's, which are blown and bouncy as anything, and a set of eibach sportline springs and my car sags UNBELIEVABLY in back, every small bump i hit makes the rear bounce low enough that i scrape the fender on the tires. not only this, but obviously the car looks terrible w/ a saggy rear end, and i'm not gonna deal with it for waterfest.
so i have a set of stock '88 GTI 16v springs to put on just the rear, and i'm going to cut a mild amount off to lower the rear subtly and have some rake for this weekend. keep in mind, this is solely for looks and to save my rear tires from being scraped into oblivion...don't need to hear it from people who tell me it's ghetto, i KNOW it's ghetto and as soon as money rolls around i'll be replacing the whole suspension.
will 1 coil be enough to lower the car approximately 1 inch in the back? will the blown shocks alter the ride height? i've been told that it's only springs that affect the height the car sits, and it's the shocks that make it bouncy...if the blown shocks won't affect ride height, then i'll leave those on since i'll probably only have this setup on for about 2 weeks, and sourcing other shocks in 2 days w/ limited funds ain't gonna happen.
someone who's done this let me know how much to cut off, and if my crappy shocks will affect LOOKS.

· Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (UglyDubling)

front's low, but it's not as saggy and bouncy as the rear is, and it's even on both sides (the rear is lower on the right). i'm scared to cut too much and end up w/ it being just as saggy as it is now....anyone else, is 2 coils too much or will that be ok? SOMEONE on here has to have cut coils on stock springs before.

· Registered
7,129 Posts
I don't know how much time you're willing to put into this, but why not cut one off and see if that's enough, and if it's not, simply take them out and cut another one off? Mind you I've never done a suspension install, so I don't know how much of a ----- this might be. Also, when you cut the springs, be sure to heat them evenly, otherwise the uneven heat of friction from cutting the spring will weaken it.

· Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (yem_icculus)

the springs are a ----- to cut, and i'm likely going to be taking them to a place to get a coil or two torched off...i might just do one coil for now until i'm sure it's not too low.

· Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (JettATL)

Quote, originally posted by JettATL »
cutting coils is really stupid... just save up and buy some springs, you can even get them on ebay cheaper than you could get someone to f*** them up for you....

READ, buddy, READ.
i've got a set of stock springs that will never be used for anything else, i have blown shocks, no money, and need a quick solution for waterfest, and ONLY for waterfest. there's nothing cheaper than FREE, so i don't know how dropping $150+ for a good set of springs is going to be cheaper than that.
BigSkizzy, thank you KINDLY for your answer, that's exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

· Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (maxxam)

Quote, originally posted by maxxam »
KYB gr-2's suck A55. IMHO

you're preachin to the choir!
i f'in hate the suspension on the car. will be replaced at earliest possible convenience ($$ allowing)

· Registered
2,758 Posts
Re: (mynameisphunk)

Quote, originally posted by mynameisphunk »

you're preachin to the choir!
i f'in hate the suspension on the car. will be replaced at earliest possible convenience ($$ allowing)

Yah i've gotta replace mine with something. They feel blown after 5000km's

· Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Batan)

cut 1 coil, on '88 gti 16v springs, and the car is now pretty consistently raked on both sides http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
haven't taken it out of the driveway, i expect it to handle like ass
but at least it's gonna be oh-so-hot for the cruise to waterfest.
thanks for all the help http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.