VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been told to set the cruise control at 9 MPH over the speed limit and you won't get pulled... sometimes I pass people, sometimes people pass me. I'm curious what the consensus is among car loungers. I'm not talking about safety here, just about avoiding a ticket.
This poll relates to interstate speeds in non-urban areas. I think the results of this poll could help a lot of us on our next non-radar-detector-protected roadtrip. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
567 Posts
Re: How many MPH over the interstate speed limit can you go without getting pulled ... (Skidmark)

Somewhere between 5 and 10 over. Depends on the state and how many local law enforcement guys are trolling the area for money. Lots of factors.

· Registered
362 Posts
Re: How many MPH over the interstate speed limit can you go without getting pulled ... (Skidmark)

I do 10 over in a 65 zone. Passed many state trooper and not once have been pulled over. OTOH if a cop is behind me I'll only do 5 over to be safe.

· Registered
1,659 Posts

Nine if you're really far out from any major metro areas. 7 if you're closer to metro areas...i.e. 'burbs.
Although in Northern Illinois, I constantly get passed going 80 in a 55 (anywhere on I-94 state line to O'Hare I-294).

· Banned
6,222 Posts
Re: How many MPH over the interstate speed limit can you ... (Opus drives an Audi)

7 over should make you 99.99994% safe IMO.
although I clicked the wrong choice and voted for 5 over.
9 is pushing it in some areas (NYS Thruway).

· Registered
2,598 Posts
Re: How many MPH over the interstate speed limit can you go without getting pulled ... (CS VW)

on interstates in VA you are usually good to go if you keep it less than 10 over, however 15-20 over seems acceptable around D.C. especially during rush hour. If I'm doing 70mph on the beltway (55mph limit) people are constantly passing me

· Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: How many MPH over the interstate speed limit can you go witho ... (ShockWaveVT)

Quote, originally posted by ShockWaveVT »
on interstates in VA you are usually good to go if you keep it less than 10 over, however 15-20 over seems acceptable around D.C. especially during rush hour. If I'm doing 70mph on the beltway (55mph limit) people are constantly passing me

That's exactly like Atlanta. The speed limit is 55 but if you go less than 70 in the middle lane you're in serious danger of getting rear ended.

· Registered
3,717 Posts
Re: (nuxx)

at all times i am over 10mph over (most of the time it is over) the posted limit PA turnpike NJ turnpike, down to flordia
the last ticket i got, failure to use a turnsignal.

· Registered
2,244 Posts

I generally feel safe going 5 over if I happen to see the fuzz waiting for his next victim.
On the other hand, I will go as fast as the cop is, if he is in view on the highway. I like when they speed.

· Registered
23,230 Posts
Re: How many MPH over the interstate speed limit can you go with ... (3wheelinWolf)

it really depends on the speed limit of the road your on. On a 65 mph road, you can go 75, and you'll most likely be fine.
but really theres so many other variable, such as the raod your on, the flow of traffic, etc.

· Registered
4,996 Posts

Most people here go 80 in a 65 zone. If you are in the left lane going 80, more than likely you will have someone on your *ss in a matter of seconds. I usually drive in the middle lanes with my speedo pointing just slightly left of 80, just to be on the safe side.

· Registered
920 Posts
Re: (nuxx)

Quote, originally posted by nuxx »
Speed of traffic.

Only in California. haha

Speed limit is 65 on the freeway, 70 on non-urban highways.
Translation: 80-85 on freeway, 100 on highways. That's WITH CHP cruising next to you!

· Registered
5,528 Posts

in 20 years of driving, i've never been pulled over for 10 mph or less over the speed limit. generally speaking, it's safe to do 10mph over in a 55 and maybe 12/13 over in a 65. also, if you see a cop, it's better to SLOWLY apply pressure to the brakes(let up before you reach him) or downshift without breaks, even if you remain slightly over the limit. that's been my experience anyway since if had i cop tell me that i was virtually guilty when he saw my jeep take a "nosedive" after spotting him.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Re: How many MPH over the interstate speed limit can you go without getting pulled ... (petesell)

Aka "pull the ebrake" -- no diving, no brake lights

I cruise to work at 85-100mph depending on the time of day... it's virtually impossible to get a speeding ticket in LA, from what I've seen, unless you're driving like a jackass (swerving through lanes = red lights in rearview.)
-s

· Registered
3,556 Posts
Re: How many MPH over the interstate speed limit can you go without getting pulled ... (sashae)

Quote, originally posted by sashae »

I cruise to work at 85-100mph depending on the time of day... it's virtually impossible to get a speeding ticket in LA, from what I've seen, unless you're driving like a jackass (swerving through lanes = red lights in rearview.)
-s

That would be nice- cruising speed is around 80mph here, but for rural interstates I would say keep it right around 10 over, you should be safe.

· Registered
42,970 Posts

More than 10 over on the NYS Thruway will get you lynched. It doesn't matter if you're 80 miles from nothing.
I've routinely gone 15-20 over on I-70 out in western Maryland.

· Registered
27,690 Posts
Re: How many MPH over the interstate speed limit can you go without getting pulled ... (AKADriver)

For me it depends on location and traffic. I have a tendency to do a good 10+ over most of the time, but only if the roads are wide and empty. I may drive a bit aggressively, but only when no one else is around me. Sometimes i'll buddy up with someone else, and slip through traffic at 5-10 over.
I always slow down for intersections, and when cars appear in front of me. I guess i a believer in "drive kinda quick, but not when other people are around" it works out fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.