VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Re: How many people get a spare ECU when chipping? (ColeMan)

I haven't heard of too many, boy I wish I had the spare $400 or whatever they cost. Best way to protect your warranty, but if they want to void it they'll find a way.
edit: I prefer the bring the VW service advisors some beer evey now and then method.

[Modified by smd3, 9:45 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

I didn't but it probably the safest way to maintain your warranty, but it's an expensive option.

·
Registered
476 Posts

I opted for the apr switchable program. Its cheapter than 2 ecu's. After bringing my car into the dealer for routine maintenence(oil, window regualtors, ect), I found it makes me feel more at ease, that they wont take my car for a test drive cause its so fast .
Other than that, switchable is good for valet. The bonus is that its switchable on the fly. Downside is if the dealer cracks open the ecu, they will notice it.

·
Registered
135 Posts

if you have a chip in, and they want to find a way to void your warranty (ie you blew your engine, turbo, or tranny, etc) because they dont want to deal with the work, then they will find your chip. they'll start looking for aftermarket DVs and chips. switchable APR or socketed GIAC, i dont think it matters.
if you are a patient person, you can always forego the spare ECU until something really goes wrong, THEN buy one.
also, if you plan on doing ANY other mod (exhaust, DV, inlet pipe, etc) then i'd reckon the spare ECU does you jack. unless you plan on taking the exhaust off when you go to the dealer. i think anything that gives the car more power than designed with gives the dealer the power to kill your warranty.
sucks huh?
i bought a spare ECU, and in retrospect, i'd say it was a waste (if i werent having it tuned right now).

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Re: How many people get a spare ECU when chipping? ([email protected])

quote:[HR][/HR]I bought a spare ECU after my socket failed me

Cheap insurance - you can find them for $150-200 at http://www.car-part.com[HR][/HR]​
Ditto that, I paid $165 for mine. Found it at the place listed above. Just open up your ECU box and write down the part # and shop around. Now the original is tucked away just in case. And if the socket fails you won't get stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a dead ECU and a huge tow bill.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Re: How many people get a spare ECU when chipping? (not_too_shabby)

I've opted for a APR with the spare ECU, the service dept. is cool now but all it takes is a new Service Manager and its a sh*_ sandwich after that...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: How many people get a spare ECU when chipping? (GTIGuy01)

thanks to vdubguy, i bought his ecu and chip already installed.
now i have my stock one as a spare, jsut like i wanted.
well at least i should have it by the weekend

WHOOO HOOO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.