VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many relays to use for my euro headlights?
one relay per light or can i use one relay for low beam and one relay for high beam?
pleze help

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: How many relays (H20cooledVW)

On a 4 lamp system like my Scirocco, I use 3, one for low beams and 2 for the high beams. For a 2 lamp system however I'd use 2 relays. I'm using 30 amp relays so even if I use 100 watt bulbs, there's still tons of excess capacity.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How many relays (ABA Scirocco)

thanks..ive seen people use 4 relays 2 for low and 2 for high beam...just seemed like over kill.
i will use 3 like you suggest..thanks for your time..
oh one other question did you fuse the power line to the relays and how big of a fuse?
thanks
mine is a 4 lamp system asfar as i know

Modified by H20cooledVW at 10:19 AM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Re: How many relays (ABA Scirocco)

One per headlight can never be too much, so If it's already like that, then no worries! You have plenty of room to spare in the wattage dept.
I have one for each. It's extra work, but now I'm assured its plenty....plus, if one relay ever goes out, I'll know which one it is!!

Modified by My Old Roc at 4:30 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Re: How many relays (Freerevving)

see I use 4 - 40amps relays for 6 lights... 2 lows (100/130w-each) with fog(65w/each) + 2 highs (130w/each), now the fog come on when the lows are one and when I turn the highs on, the fog go out.

here is the diagram

Modified by ATS at 4:48 PM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Re: How many relays (My Old Roc)

Quote, originally posted by My Old Roc »
Thats the very chart I sed to wire up my headlight set up!!! Patrick rocks!

lol if I got a 1$ donation for each time someone said that. I would be rich!
ahaha, thanks for the compliment...
(gawd I have so many more tech notes to put on the web site....)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Re: How many relays (H20cooledVW)

Turning your low beam circuits from 2 seperate circuits to 1 is never a good idea. I would do a 30A for each lowbeam, and then a 40A for your highbeams. Losing both your lowbeams while on a corner or in wet weather probably wouldn't be too much fun.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Re: How many relays (Nogaro-Green)

Quote, originally posted by Nogaro-Green »
Turning your low beam circuits from 2 seperate circuits to 1 is never a good idea. I would do a 30A for each lowbeam, and then a 40A for your highbeams. Losing both your lowbeams while on a corner or in wet weather probably wouldn't be too much fun.

Agreed... that is the same reason Volkswagen uses seperate circuits for each light.
-Raffi

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: How many relays (My Old Roc)

Quote, originally posted by My Old Roc »
.....great.....now I owe you a buck....will you take a
instead?
Hell I owe him at least a case of Shinner at the rate I'm going

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Re: How many relays (BigDvw)

Quote, originally posted by BigDvw »
Hell I owe him at least a case of Shinner at the rate I'm going

ahaha Dallas, that could be just right
lol so whats next to be done on your car btw..IM me or email me, heck you knwo the #, call me.. but this week I am working on MY car for a change,lol gotta get ready for Cincy but if you want to scoot by on friday Ill be working on AC and Coolant on my car all day!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: How many relays (ATS)

I think I'm at the point where I'm gonna drive it as is until I get all the parts for the motor swap and suspension upgrade. Depends on how things go in the bankruptcy court today as to weather or not I'll still have half days on fridays. If I have the half day, I'll try to come by after I get the car inspected.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts