VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what looks like another temp sensor/sender on the back, driver's side of the head, but it's not connected to anything. What's that one for?
Anybody know what all the sensors on the head go to so I can confirm I got them connected right? I think the prior owner might have disconnected some stuff.
Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: How many temp sensors are on the head anyway? (sms1305)

OK. This is what I understand.
One of the sensors (brown connector) is the termotime switch for the cold start valve.
One of the sensors (2 pin connector, I think) provides a signal to the ECU.
Threre are three others, two on the end of the head and one in the back. They look like they're all the same size, but two have flat spade lug electrical connections and one has a connector that looks like the top of a nail. It looks like they are monitoring coolant temp, but what do they go to? Someone suggested that the one in the back of the head was just being used as a plug, and that it didn't do anything. Same guy also suggested that the two on the end were just redundant.
It's a 1.8L 16v PL engine. Can anyone shed some light on this, please?
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,912 Posts

One of them allows the WOT switch to work (or not). The procedure in the Bentley for testing the WOT had me disconnect it for the test.
HTH

·
Registered
120 Posts

Two-pin connectors:
white one (front of distributor side of head) is the coolant temperature sensor for CIS-E or Motronic as appropriate. This is the one that the TT power module connects to.
Brown one (rear of distributor side of head) is the thermotime switch.
Single pin connectors:
Rear of head is the oil temperature sensor for the MFA.
Side of head (both single-blade connectors) are the coolant temperature sensors for the water temperature gauge in the dash. Only one of these two needs to be connected, either seems to work. I have no idea why they fitted an extra sensor.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Re: How many temp sensors are on the head anyway? (ChrisL)

The 2 on the end are the same. On a 2.0 CIS-E Motronic there is actually a single sensor and a 5mm allen plug screwed into the other hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts