VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many think that the Touareg woud be better off road than a Grand Cherokee or a Hummer H2?

I bet it would be and I bet it is better off road than we imagined.
I also think it is a better value than both of them.

Modified by SOCAL XMER at 6:50 AM 7-7-2003

·
Registered
116 Posts
Re: How many think that the Touareg woud be better off road than a Grand Che ... (SOCAL XMER)

I read in on of my magazines that the Touareg when equiped with the 4 corner air suspention probably not the V6 but the V8 and the V10 TDI ARE INDEED BETTER THAN THE H2 BUT not the H1.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Re: How many think that the Touareg woud be better off road than a Grand Che ... (hartmaw)

Quote, originally posted by hartmaw »
I read in on of my magazines that the Touareg when equiped with the 4 corner air suspention probably not the V6 but the V8 and the V10 TDI ARE INDEED BETTER THAN THE H2 BUT not the H1.

I might have read the same article, I remember it saying something close to the lines that it was the most capable SUV they had tested "OFF ROAD" next to the H1. That says a lot for it, hell, it beat out 8 other SUV's in that comparison to take the #1 spot.
if I can ever afford it I will get one for my tow vehicle.
Anthony

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Re: How many think that the Touareg woud be bettr off road than a Grand Che ... (SOCAL XMER)

Who cares? H2 is hideously ugly, overweight and too tall for using everyday.
I'm sure the Touareg could get me anywhere I needed to go offroad in comfort while still being safe and relatively economical on road.
If the H2 isn't better than the Touareg offroad then why anyone would buy one escapes me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think the best comparision will be the Touareg against the new Range Rover.
That is a battle. If I had to chose I would go Range Rover overall but who know... I would love to own either one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: How many think that the Touareg woud be bettr off road than a Grand Che ... (CarLuvrSD)

The Tourareg is so new that alot of people don't even know what it is, just like alot of people do't know what XM satellite radio is.
I think once this VW catches on it will change the way people look at VW. I think in many ways it will make the Hummer H2 look like a stupid waste of money.
when the Touraeg will make alot more sense. Oh yah the max trailering capacity of the H2 is 6,500LBS where the Touraeg is 7,700
yah the Touraeg kicks ass in my book!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Range Rover vs V10TDi Car(UK) Test

In the Car(UK) July edition, the article "Torque Fighting" pitched a Range Rover against a V10TDi, evaluating comparative prowess in negotiating some of the toughest off roading in the Scottish Highlands. Swamps, river crossings, steep inclines and tortuous descents were all on the challenge list. Suffice to say the vehicles were taken to the limits of their design.
The Range Rover retained its crown as the most capable off road vehicle. To quote "...the Range Rover does it better. You can't help but admire the Touareg's engine, and amazing combination of urge and (relative) economy. But the Range Rover is special all-round - to look at and to sit in, but especially because of the way it moves along. It always feels so natural and comfortable with itself. Whatever world it finds itself in." So the additional 10k GBP ($17k) of the RR has some validation....

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Re: Range Rover vs V10TDi Car(UK) Test (BMCGC4S)

All the Touareg needs to be on par with the Range Rover is axle articulation. The potential is there for lots of travel in the Touareg suspension design. It is just being limited by the sway bars, and the typical independent suspension lack of side to side equilization. The Range Rover uses a similar independent air suspension to the Touareg but has a clever air displacement arrangement where the wheel strut being pushed up displaces its air to the opposite air bellow effectively pushing that wheel down just like a live axle setup.
Hopefully VW has that same setup in mind for the Extreme Package or whatever they choose to call the rumored enhanced offroad version. It's already rumored that they have a swaybar auto disconnect system in the works. I think once the Touareg has axle articulation then it will be at least as capable as the Range Rover. It does have a more advanced center differential arrangement.
Last but not least, I think Car wanted the defeat of the Touareg in that test to take place. If they'd locked the rear diff, there would have been enough traction to get it to the top.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Went looking for that mag, couldn't find it. Is that article available on the web somewhere? Can any of you guys scan it in to where it is legible?
Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: (mvf4s)

Quote, originally posted by mvf4s »
hmm prolly 1% of touaregs will see dirt, 2% for cherokee and 0.05% for the h2.

That is SO TRUE.!!!!!! 99% of the people who spend the 50k on a 4x4 capable SUV NEVER drive it on dirt. It is only a pavement gas hog and never sees anymore than maybe 50' of driveway dirt if its lucky....that just erks me more than you know.....what a waste of money just for looks.....

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Re: (Wolfdubs)

That's right! Most of them are two income families who have little time for anything other than going to the grocery store, mall and school to pick up the kids. They choose the SUV over the minivan so that at least they have the look of a family who spends time in the wilderness.
Someone said the H2 would look like a stupid waste of money. How rediculous! IT ALREADY DOES, SILLY!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: (CarLuvrSD)

The H2 has less ground clearance, less water clearance, and most importantly in my part of the world, less towing capacity.
The only thing it can to better is side angles - 40 degrees vs 35 degrees and inclines - 60 degrees vs 45 degrees.
I would also be afraid of an H2 in triple digit speeds.

As for the Rover, For $20,000 less, I'll take the Touareg, any day.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It is sad that so few SUV owners actually use the vehicle off road. There is so much to see and do off the beaten path.
I owned a '99 Yukon (4 door) 4x4. We had rented a large home and were meeting a bunch of people up north (Michigan) One friend had given two sets of directions: car route or scenic route. The scenic route was beautiful! Best part of the trip was when we discovered the house was at the top of a hill with a steep, curving driveway. Only two out of five vehicles made it to the top (yes, I was one of them!) One friend ended up slooooowly sliding his new Saab backwards into a snow drift!
While on a beer run to the nearest store I decided to take a short-cut off the main road. One of my friends commented "I can't believe you would drive a $40k vehicle off-road." I responded "That is what it is designed for!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts