VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to see how long everybody has been doing the VW thing.
I got my first car/GTi in '88. It was a stock '83 GTi. I auto-xed that car from day one in stock and slowly learned to wrench and modify the car as it broke. That car served me well until '97. It had 149,xxx on it when I stopped driving it.
(Note: dubs don't like to sit around, they like to be driven!)
'97 was when I picked up my 9-deuce from my friend. His previous wife didn't like the car because it kept 'breaking' on her... Something about a hole in the transmission?!!?

I also auto-xed this car from day one starting in E Stock and now modded to DSP spec.
My passion for the brand goes back to '86 when I was a mere high schooler and followed my bro out to the races in his Toyota AE86. The shop/enthusiasts he rolled with were all into VW's. They had a 12 second turbo 1.7L Rabbit back in the eighties.

Well getting older now, but still in the game! In the upcoming years I'll get a 24VGTi once the thrill has died to some of the 'trendier' dubbers out there...
The Mk2 will live/drive on as weekend ruckus machine.
Dub On! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
7,560 Posts
Re: How many years in the game? (Big Fundamental)

Jeez!!!! Youre almost as old as me, and i'm friggin old!!!!!

Been doing the Dub scene for 13 years, since i bought my 1 and only dub new off the lot in November of 1990(my curent car)...i cant imagine being without my GTI, its a part of me now....i should be buried in it when i die.....

·
Banned
491 Posts
Re: How many years in the game? (PDXGTI8V)

I'v owned one for close to 2 years.. but I saved for 2 years before that to get my first dub so that must tell you something.

I'v been a fan since I was 15 and changed the MC on a g60 raddo.

·
Registered
24,968 Posts

Well, i started the vw thing at a early age (around 12 IIRC). my pop's was a
big Rabbit fan back then (so this will be a total of 17 years in the game) I got
my first dub which was a 83 GTI that my unclee gave me for my 14th
birthday. started to drive it at 16. Bought a brand new 89' GTI back in 88'.
crashed it in 89', swap the 89 motor in a 86' GTI, drove that for 2 years then
after that i lost count on how many dub's ive owned since then. I believe it
was about 30 and i must say that ive only owned 2 cars in my life that werent
Volksagens and 90% of the vw's ive owned were MK2's. the rest were 3
rabbit GTI's (which i miss so much), 98 Jetta (which sadly i still have) and a
rado (which i only drove for a few months). I own about 9 MK2's at the
momment

The reason why i only owned Vw's is that im the 3rd gen. Vdubaholic in my family and my entire family owns VW's and audi's

Modified by I Wuz BottlFedG60 at 12:39 AM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Re: How many years in the game? (I Wuz BottlFedG60)

Cars - all my nearly 34 years of life.
VW's - since about 1985 when I rode in my buddy's brother's brand new silver 85 GTI. Bought my first VW ('86 GTI) in 1990. Have owned about 31 VW's and Audi's since.
My father started a shop working on aircooled cars back in '61. He did it full and part time on and off until about 1973. He's into Corvettes now...
Scott

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

18 years.
Since I got my learner's permit..... '85. I first drove a CRX Si (the first gen), wrecked it, then got my first taste of real cars.....
My spankin new 1986 WE Jetta GLI , complete with leather and 14" P-wheels......... 7 or 8 VWs/Audis later, still kickin.
Never gonna leave the VAG scene. Dubber 4 life. (Although I just bought a 2004 Sienna for my newborn
) http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Re: How many years in the game? (Nashty Rabbit)

i've got 3yrs in it. first car was a 85 jetta, 88 gti 16v, and now 89 8v golf(my favorite of them all since it lasted the longest and seems real peppy)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: How many years in the game? (Nashty Rabbit)

got my first dub in 93, it was a green S1.. 2 A2's since then.
i went to a new auto show in feb of 1993, i was 16 at the time. the two cars that stick out most in my mind were a 92 civic Si (they came out mid year of 92) and a 92 GTI 16v (leftover stock from 92). I wish i had a camara then, having pics of a brand new montana green 16v w/ recaros and BBS rims would be soo nice to have right now.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts

Well I've owned my car, my only dub, for 9 years. But I started my interest when dad brought home his diesel Jetta in 90.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
7,560 Posts
Re: How many years in the game? (vwgti1986)

Quote, originally posted by vwgti1986 »
Well I've owned my car, my only dub, for 9 years. But I started my interest when dad brought home his diesel Jetta in 90.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

friggin NooB...........

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Re: How many years in the game? (atlasGTI)

I wonder how much money you guy's musta spent as a vdubaholic
. If i was a regular person with no interest in cars, i would be a millionaire. Its sux bigtime for me cause i have 2 dub's that are daily drivers, one of which my wife drives and she has no mallace when it comes to driving cause she know's ill fix it with my money. and this is a weekly thing fixing her car
My GLI which drives like a new car needs a few things and i have 2 very exspensive projects that are being done. You would think cause im in the business i get huge discounts it doesnt cost that much but it still cost. I saved every reciept for every part ive bought for my GTI in the 5 years that ive owned it. I tried adding it up but i passed out around 19k.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: How many years in the game? (I Wuz BottlFedG60)

Quote, originally posted by I Wuz BottlFedG60 »
I wonder how much money you guy's musta spent as a vdubaholic

I've got a shoe box from the time I had the Mk1 (a Vision Street Wear box! if anyone remembers that). That thing is full with the OEM owner's manual and the original build sheet that I found behind the inner 3/4 panel of the car. Also reciepts for hoses, filters, oil, suspension... Too bad I no longer have the car...
The 9-deuce has a similar box (Adidas Gonz 1 model
). Too many reciepts to count.
I don't wanna know!
Onward and upward, with a few breakdowns along the way.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
I got into dubs at the age of 13 or 14 when I went to work for a local aircooled shop stripping cars and inventorying the used parts. Talk about a kick ass job while my friends were bagging grocerys at Publix or working as busboys.
That was back in like 1988. I bought a Manx style dune buggy and built that before I was even close to being old enough to drive. I then strayed and bought a 72 Pontiac Firechicken in 1990, and in 91 I got a basket case 70 Bug. While I built the bug I drove the Firechicken till the cancer caugt up to it, swapped themotor in my brothers old Bonneville until I finished the dub in 92.
It was badass. All shaved(chrome, doorhandles, decklid, antenna, wanted to put a 16V antenna on it, never did, etc), early front clip, scalloped paint job lime green in the front, grabber blue in the back, lowered to about 3" off the ground rolling on 14" wheels. Car was badass.
Engine blew in the bug, got rid of it, ended up driving an 82 Rabbit while I built a Mustang. Ended up blowing the motor up in the Mustang due to a cheap Fram filter, got an 82 Rocco I drove around for a few years, turbo and non turbo. Ended up selling the Rocco in 95 when my dad sold me his Tuarus SHO. I loved that car. Until 99 it was alot of Fords, and I still am a big Ford guy with now only 2 of them(97 F150 and 89 Merkur XR4ti), but I also have my GTI I got in 99 and my Bug I got in 2002.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts