VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already checked the blue book, just looking for a real world answer.
I can get pictures later tonight if it is not raining, but here are the basics. 1985 Vanagon, dark blue with 187,500 miles. I do not remember all of the specs, but they said that the engine was redone at around 145,000 miles, but the exhaust looks to be in need of replacement, and the heat is stuck on. Looks to be a base model, has wheels with hubcaps, and windows are not tinted. I cannot recall if it is manual or automatic, for some reason I did not look inside??? Anyway, they are asking $1000, but I know the owner so I may be able to get a better deal, even though we have not talked in years.

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
Re: How much are 1985 Vanagon's going for...??? (GTI-n-IT)

You should ask this question over in the Vans and Transporters forum. They are more knowledgeable with these kinds of VWs. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How much are 1985 Vanagon's going for...??? (PerL)

Sorry, I did not know that forum existed.
They are asking $1000, but blue book is closer to $800, and there are a few things that need fixing like I said, so I may offer less if my wife OK's another project.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTI-n-IT »
they said that the engine was redone at around 145,000 miles, but the exhaust looks to be in need of replacement, and the heat is stuck on. Looks to be a base model, has wheels with hubcaps, and windows are not tinted. I cannot recall if it is manual or automatic

What does "redone" mean? Were the heads rebuilt? Is there any antifreeze leak? And who "redid" it? Any receipts?
The above is a serious consideration because a proper job will cost $1500-2000.
I had an '85 base model. I sold mine for $1200 in '97 and there was nothing wrong with it except the seats were a bit tatty. This one needing an exhaust certainly is a bargaining point. Although a vanagon exhaust is cheap compared to my current EuroVan, we're not talking loose change either.
The heat stuck on could be anything.
Vanagon automatics should have been called problematics. VW didn't correct this until later in the EuroVan model years. If you need to go automatic (and it sounds like you don't or you would have looked), just count on it costing $250-500 every two or so years.
If this Vanagon is very sound, however, don't be penny-wise and dollar-foolish. Good Vanagons are hard to come by because they are often driven into the ground by previous owners. Hence, the skewed blue book value. I'm not saying don't negotiate obviously.
Also since you are in Maryland, see if the seller will inspect it. If not, why not? Offer to pay the inspection fees to see what is it will need. Then he/you can decide on what to do from there. (If the inspection station says it needs A, B, ..., Z, you don't have to have the work done.)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Re: How much are 1985 Vanagon's going for...??? (oasis)

I was looking at this '85 Vanagon last summer that was decent, but non-running since '99, 114,00mi. When I called, they said they wanted $500, a little high I thought. When I called to talk about it again, the price went up-$700!
Yeah right!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I am not sure of the details on the rebuild, but it did say rebuilt, not redone as I stated before. I think that the owner would have taken good care of the van for the most part, but there were some issues such as the exhaust that do not show that it was well taken care of, so I cannot be sure. I will just have to talk with him and as about the inspection idea. I think he would be willing to do that, especially if I paid for it, and then I would either be out $50, or I will know what I have to do once I buy the van. Either way, if the engine was completely rebuilt, it still had 40K on it post rebuild. The tires looked fairly new, but of course hubcapped wheels are nasty looking. I will do some more research and talk to the guy about his willingness to inspect, and come down on the price. I was thinking that if I offered him $500 depending on the inspection, that would be more fair, because of all of the already obvious things that I know will have to be repaired. I could just buy it, and let it sit for 5 more years and just title it historic with no inspection...hehe, just kidding, but it was nice being able to do that with my 1972 Volvo 142e.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts

If the engine was cared for since the rebuild and the body is decent, then $1000 isn't bad, even if it needs an exhaust.
I paid $1800 a year ago for my '91 Vanagon that needed quite a bit of work in the first few months (it's a happy van now). Then again, there are very few in NJ, let alone any as clean as my Vanagon.
BTW - the heat was stuck on in my Vanagon upon purchase. The front heater valve control cable needed to be adjusted. My mechanic had it fixed in a jif for like $25. Well worth it. Of course, you might have a bad valve, lever, or cable.

Modified by MagicBus at 8:17 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

If you buy the van and if you need an exhaust system IM me. I have a nearly new complete system. Comes with catalytic converter, muffler, and oxygen sensor. I will sell it for a reasonable price. Let me know if you need it.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Re: How much are 1985 Vanagon's going for...??? (ubercrap)

Quote, originally posted by ubercrap »
I was looking at this '85 Vanagon last summer that was decent, but non-running since '99, 114,00mi. When I called, they said they wanted $500, a little high I thought. When I called to talk about it again, the price went up-$700!
Yeah right!

please.. a vehicle that old has already depreciated as low as it can go..and bottomed out - and is just worth what you are asking for it, or what you can get for it, depending on condition.. or if youre a buyer, what its worth to you, and how much you really want it.. not a stupid book value. "book values" are for newer cars.
think of it. what do you want for 500 bucks? if i had old bus or van .(which i do) ..that was running good...(which it is) and looked good...(which it does) and someone came up to me and said "well,KBB.com says it only worth $500" i'd tell them to kindly stop wasting my time and go **** themselves
i sold my 78 champagne edition westy for 10 grand 2 years ago. what does KBB.com say a '78 camper is worth? $500? $200? who cares? doesnt matter what they say its worth, its worth what i can get for it for the condition its in.

Modified by jordanvw at 3:04 AM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
3,322 Posts

Quote, originally posted by oasis »
Vanagon automatics should have been called problematics. VW didn't correct this until later in the EuroVan model years. If you need to go automatic (and it sounds like you don't or you would have looked), just count on it costing $250-500 every two or so years.

actually the vanagon automatics are more reliable than the manual transmissions.. the 83-89 vanagon wbx w/ the manual transmission had a design flaw, the 3rd/4th gear slider hubs always develop cracks...necessitating a rebuild or replacement. ive never had a problem w/ an wbx vanagon automatic.
now , '93-95 eurovan automatics - those trannies are problematic.. everyone ive ever driven has that hard upshift/slam into gear problem..

Modified by jordanvw at 2:59 AM 5-22-2004

Modified by jordanvw at 3:06 AM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Re: How much are 1985 Vanagon's going for...??? (jordanvw)

Well, it hadn't run in 4 years and had been sitting in the back lot of a crappy used car dealership. The front windows were left rolled down too. Considering a running one can be gotten for $1000, $700 seemed a little
since the motor might have been complete toast. I've bought three different running, drivable VW's for $300 a piece. I never looked at the BB value, just thinking about what one could get for a 18yr. old, non-running, neglected minivan might be worth. Anyway, it disappeared right after I was asking about it, along with a bunch of other junk that was sent to the scrapper. I doubt they even got $50 for it. They didn't even want to bother selling it unless they could egregiously overcharge me.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Re: How much are 1985 Vanagon's going for...??? (ubercrap)

Quote, originally posted by ubercrap »
I never looked at the BB value, just thinking about what one could get for a 18yr. old, non-running, neglected minivan might be worth.

There's nothing MINI about a Vanagon

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Re: How much are 1985 Vanagon's going for...??? (MagicBus)

rusty?
leaks?
dents?
hows it drive?
and how bad do you want it?
$1000 is fair for a decent looking / running 85. $ 500 is better

·
Registered
758 Posts
Re: How much are 1985 Vanagon's going for...??? (Eric Didier)

i just got an 85 vanagon for 400 bux, it wasnt supposed to be running but when i got there i checked it out and the wire from the coil to dist cap was unplugged, started right up. minor surface rust from rock chips, someone had messed with the airflow sensor so it is running a little rich, other than that i just threw some new plugs in it and it runs decent. i figured i got a pretty good deal on it. i was gonna buy one with a blown motor for 700 before i found this one...
-jared

1 - 16 of 16 Posts