VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Re: How much boost Can a Stock 1.8 T b5 take?? 15 psi ?? (stankydanky28)

my giac chip spikes me somwhere around 20psi or so, holds around 18 with no problems in 60K miles. i think the X-chip will get you higher than that.

·
Banned
5,429 Posts

my giac chip runs at 15psi i think, fairly standard as far as im concerned

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Re: How much boost Can a Stock 1.8 T b5 take?? 15 psi ?? (geoff16vII)

you can run as high as 25-27psi but i would suggest running it that high all the time.but you could def. run 20 all the time with no problem.

·
Banned
7,047 Posts

Quote, originally posted by stankydanky28 »
i only run 11 psi wit that chip

you sure you're chipped? 10-11 psi is stock boost

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

The amount of misinformation and generalizations here is amusing.
How much boost you can run safely depends on the turbo. A 25 pound spike on a stock turbo is far different from a constant 25 pounds on a GT30.
You can spike as high as you want on a K03/K03S, but you'll be running way out of the turbo's efficiency range (and therefore blowing hot air into the motor and losing power), and overspinning the turbo.
Most chips give you aroung 18-22 PSI spikes on a stock turbo. Anything much beyond that without below-freezing weather or water/meth injection is pointless to run on a K03/K03S.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Re: How much boost Can a Stock 1.8 T b5 take?? 15 psi ?? (TallaiMan)

Quote, originally posted by TallaiMan »
How much boost you can run safely depends on the turbo. A 25 pound spike on a stock turbo is far different from a constant 25 pounds on a GT30.
You can spike as high as you want on a K03/K03S, but you'll be running way out of the turbo's efficiency range (and therefore blowing hot air into the motor and losing power), and overspinning the turbo.
Most chips give you aroung 18-22 PSI spikes on a stock turbo. Anything much beyond that without below-freezing weather or water/meth injection is pointless to run on a K03/K03S.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif could not have said it better myself.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

I was waiting for someone to give the proper answer to this... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
17,317 Posts

Fantastic information, but the problem here is the interpretation of the ambiguous term "stock" ... the first responders interpreted that very literally, 100% stock including turbo, and talked about real world scenarios.
TallaiMan, on the other hand, decided to flex some knowledge and assume that even with the designation of "stock" that we were talking about scenarios with other turbos.
So, I wouldn't say there was "misinfomation" to begin with, but "incomplete and unqualified" information (and I'm talking unqualified as in clarification questions were not asked, rather than saying the posters were less than qualified, before anyone gets their man thong in a bunch). I'd even go so far as to say that was enough for the OP, for obvious reasons I would refrain from stating.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Re: How much boost Can a Stock 1.8 T b5 take?? 15 psi ?? (hierlevelz)

How much the stock internals can handle also depends on where in the rpm the big boost hits

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

LOL, thanks man! I was getting angrier as I read each post until I saw yours....*sigh* feel much better now lol. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts