VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading some people have been spiking up to like 23lbs of boost on stock turbos. I just installed a boost gauge and only hit maybe 17lbs. So what I was wondering is if anyone lost boost when they installed their front-mount intercoolers? Or am I running low? Should I change my program (ECU). I have GIAC. I just feel like its low, but maybe Im wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a forge FMIC on mine and boost at 22psi and hold about 20/21psi, thats on SPS3 set at low boost 7 and timing set to 5

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Re: How much boost with intercoolers installed? (igotaprestent4u)

Quote, originally posted by igotaprestent4u »
with intercoolers with lot of piping, one can expect 1-3psi loss.

let me try to explain with my limited knowledge. Yes overall there is a loss of pressure but the IC will have colder air so you will be able to have more air molecules per measure of volume.
So the pressure loss due to piping and the pressure gain due to denser air would almost cancel each other out.
When I put on my ATP FMIC I was actually able to run more boost due to the cooler air. I am down here in Miami so its always freakin hot and the FMIC has helped a lot brining down temps.
Colder air means better timing and less retard. So if you do not have a way to increase timing to get more power you can still increase boost which in turn would result in hotter temps due to the efficency range of the KO3(s) brining back your timing to where it was before with more power now created by more boost.

·
Banned
12,870 Posts
Re: How much boost with intercoolers installed? (chaugner)

Quote, originally posted by chaugner »

Colder air means better timing and less retard. So if you do not have a way to increase timing to get more power you can still increase boost which in turn would result in hotter temps due to the efficency range of the KO3(s) brining back your timing to where it was before with more power now created by more boost.

Easier to bump timing with Lemmiwinks than to push the turbo back out of it's efficieny range.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Re: How much boost with intercoolers installed? (20V-Turbo)

Quote, originally posted by 20V-Turbo »
I lost about 1-4psi with my GReddy Intercooler.

Aren't you still figuring out your problems? I would think that if this is the case, it would be hard to say how your car performs in terms of boost loss at this point ....

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Re: How much boost with intercoolers installed? (Raman Gain)

Quote, originally posted by Raman Gain »

Aren't you still figuring out your problems? I would think that if this is the case, it would be hard to say how your car performs in terms of boost loss at this point ....

Hehe the car is fine on the streets but on the highway its not. But I can tell I lost some boost. I am getting this problem fixed tonight
and putting VTune back

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Re: How much boost with intercoolers installed? (1.8t Sleeper)

get rid of the N75 and use an MBC, you'll get more boost.

·
Banned
4,542 Posts
Re: How much boost with intercoolers installed? (VDUBNDizzy)

Quote, originally posted by VDUBNDizzy »
Get an MBC. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

And a Diode!

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: How much boost with intercoolers installed? (20V-Turbo)

Quote, originally posted by 20V-Turbo »
I lost about 1-4psi with my GReddy Intercooler.

With a Greddy 28 and a KO3 (non sport) I lost less than 1 psi. It was not really worth mentioning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts