VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
MK4 GTI, B8.5 allroad, Gen4 Outback, ‘02 Monster
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to bleed the brakes on my GTI for the first time. I have a pressure bleeder. How much (in oz., I suppose) did you use to bleed it all clean? I have two bottles of 12oz. Wondering if it's enough. Hopefully it is. Otherwse, I'll get some more before I do the bleeding. I don't wanna get stuck half way through. Any info is appreciated.

· Registered
7,292 Posts
Re: How much brake fluid do I need? (hotsoup)

It depends what you are doing with the bleed. If you are just bleeding to remove the air, you will need maybe 1/4 of a bottle. However, if you are doing a feed and bleed to replace your brake fluid, two bottles is enough. If you need directions on exactly how to do this, shoot me an IM or an email.
Mike

· Registered
325 Posts
Re: How much brake fluid do I need? (Raktim81)

Don't use the Super blue if your car has manual transmission. VW/Audi clutches don't like the SuperBlue. The clutch master cylinder develops squciking noice and fails in several months. Regular ATE DOT4 works very well.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How much brake fluid do I need? (a701440)

Quote, originally posted by a701440 »
Don't use the Super blue if your car has manual transmission. VW/Audi clutches don't like the SuperBlue. The clutch master cylinder develops squciking noice and fails in several months. Regular ATE DOT4 works very well.

Clutch? Am I missing something here? Aren't talking about brakes?

· Registered
325 Posts

VW clutch uses brake fluid from the same brake fluid reservoir.
You should bleed the clutch at the same time when you bleed your brakes. And the ATE Super Blue is a no no for the clutch. Might be fine if it's an auto .

Modified by a701440 at 10:06 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
983 Posts
Re: How much brake fluid do I need? (a701440)

Quote, originally posted by a701440 »

really? didnt know that!
thanks!

Modified by Raktim81 at 10:14 PM 9-8-2005

23,696 Posts
Re: How much brake fluid do I need? (Raktim81)

you only need one liter to bleed.
never use brake fluid that has been previously opened.
if you bleed with the pressure bleeder, you really don't need to worry much about bleeding the clutch.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: How much brake fluid do I need? (rs4-380)

Quote, originally posted by rs4-380 »
if you bleed with the pressure bleeder, you really don't need to worry much about bleeding the clutch.

After "the cluth post", I was like wtf? I then went look up my Bentley about bleeding the cluth. LOL. Know what? I'll put the clutch aside for now...'til somebody tells me I have to do it.

· Banned
25,723 Posts
Re: How much brake fluid do I need? (FaelinGL)

Quote, originally posted by FaelinGL »

It depends what you are doing with the bleed. If you are just bleeding to remove the air, you will need maybe 1/4 of a bottle. However, if you are doing a feed and bleed to replace your brake fluid, two bottles is enough. If you need directions on exactly how to do this, shoot me an IM or an email.
Mike

Directions please.......

· Registered
325 Posts

The water that is sucked in by the brake fluid causes the boiling point of the fluid to be lowered significantly and may cause your brakes get mushy at some point. However it also causes corrosion in the calipers, cylinders and brake lines. If you don't bleed the whole system you are not doing the job right. It's your car do whatever... BTW bleeding the clutch is just one extra valve to open. (you need a longer discharge hose to comfortably get to the slave cylinder though)
You do need 2 quarts of fluid to do flush the system completely or you may be risking running out of fresh fluid and sucking in some air into the system when your power bleeder runs out of fluid.
I've done it once and had to buy the second bottle any way to flush the air out - major hassle.

· Registered
7,292 Posts

· Registered
33,911 Posts
Re: How much brake fluid do I need? (rs4-380)

Quote, originally posted by rs4-380 »

Yep. I bought 2 bottles of Super Blue (clutch still fine after a year) and used only one of them.-- I have heard of issues using Super Blue...something with the dye (and the dye makes it not DOT approved also)
1 liter for me with a pressure bleeder.
Instructions?
Use a turkey baster to remove the old fluid. Pour fresh fluid in reservoir. Pour the rest in the bleeder
Jack car up and support with jack stands
remove wheels (good time to rotate them).
Pressurize the bleeder
Start bleeding, passenger side rear, then driver rear, then passenger front, then driver front. Bleed each one, one at the time, usually in that order, until you see the new fluid with no bubbles. Everynow and then check the bleeder for pressure and top the bleeder as necessary

Modified by GT17V at 10:40 AM 9-9-2005

· Registered
12,457 Posts
Re: How much brake fluid do I need? (LETTERMAN52)

Quote, originally posted by LETTERMAN52 »
I have access to a lift with you want to help me bleed my brakes your welcome to use it.

Thats an awesome offer http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Banned
25,723 Posts
Re: How much brake fluid do I need? (VR6GTI72)

Man i feel like a dumb monkey.. I just watched the video and it looks pretty straight forward.....Awesome video by the way.... Offer still stands though..... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.