VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Let's consider the head right now is bone stock,and stock cams.I'd like to install this cam set...
http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/..._10.109.418K_Camshaft_Set_16V&products_id=280
into my head.so with this cam set how much can be safely shaved off of my head??.right now decking the block is not an option.I'll be using a stock headgasket & stock head bolts.
-i almost considered putting an 8v head onto my 16v block but running that high of a CR kinda scares me(LOL).would i get more power from a complete 16v engine or this hybrid?would the engine durability suffer?Im kinda leaning towards a whole 16v engine.
-is it really necessary to run HD springs with an aftermarket cam set? Because they are stiffer dont they take more energy to open & close the valves negating some of the gains?
-Im getting ready to mount my engine onto an engine stand to work on it.Id like to get a thread chaser or a tap to clean out the head bolt threads in the block.whats the specs for these threads? Im pretty sure it's 11M x 1.5 but Im not positive.also Id like to clean up the threads where you put the bolts through the tranny to mount it to the block.I think these may be M12 x 1.75 but again Im not positive.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Ken

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can shave it down to the valve seats if need be(I wouldn't advise it),I had to do it to salvage a big money race head that had been over heated a few times.Then you will need a adjustable cam spocket to get the cam timing back.If your budget allows,buy some pistons for more squeeze and call it a day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts