VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I am considering lowering my Jetta just a little bit (maybe 2"-3") and was wondering what people are paying for that, including labor.

I think lowering the Mk6 "just enough" makes it look so much better, because the rear of the car looks too high stock.

If you have pictures of your car lowered 2-3" please post them! Thanks guys!

Here's Mine as She sits:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You can find a good used set of coils on the classifieds for ~400 . The tricky part is the installation, I think it was around a 3-4 hour job so it all depends where you want to do it. I would recommend either Wolfcars or USP Motorsports.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
When my air rides all done itll be a hair under $2k. Ive wanted bags since i was a little kid, f*ck it yolo haha

·
Banned
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can find a good used set of coils on the classifieds for ~400 . The tricky part is the installation, I think it was around a 3-4 hour job so it all depends where you want to do it. I would recommend either Wolfcars or USP Motorsports.
Thank you! I'v heard of USP from a guy who got his daughter's Jetta fully customized there and heard nothing but good things. I'll look into it.

When my air rides all done itll be a hair under $2k. Ive wanted bags since i was a little kid, f*ck it yolo haha
haha, nice. I don't want to spend that much though. I plan to purchase a new car at the start of next year. I'm just looking for low cost and effective :thumbup:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Solo Werks S1 coils (499.00) and paying 322 to get them installed.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
OP try to find a local guy to do it before a shop. A local guy installed coilovers on my last car for a $100 bucks. Much better than rediculous shop prices. Hell if i had the proper tools id do installs for locals around here.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
OP try to find a local guy to do it before a shop. A local guy installed coilovers on my last car for a $100 bucks. Much better than rediculous shop prices. Hell if i had the proper tools id do installs for locals around here.
If you can find a club member or something, that's always an option.

A shop has a different overhead structure.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I am considering lowering my Jetta just a little bit (maybe 2"-3") and was wondering what people are paying for that, including labor.

I think lowering the Mk6 "just enough" makes it look so much better, because the rear of the car looks too high stock.

If you have pictures of your car lowered 2-3" please post them! Thanks guys!

Here's Mine as She sits:
ST Coils.. 600 bucks, installed for 200.

-Mike

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
It's funny how you just know it when you see it. As soon as I opened up this thread, I saw the picture and instantly though Florida, before even looking over to left.

Anyways, it really depends on your budget and what your goal is. 3" drop probably isn't going to happen on springs. You'd need coilovers or bags for something like that. I'm in Boynton. Let me know if you need help with anything.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
OP 2-3" is a lot of drop if not going bags. Springs alone will not accomplish. I dropped about 1.6" on vogtland springs and it is a happy medium IMO. Vogtland sells 2" springs but I think that is the lowest.

Even on my 1.6's, if I go over a hump or pothole at speed, I scrape. As for install, if you are thinking of springs or coilovers then do it yourself, if you have the time. Not that difficult.

-Dan

·
Banned
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP 2-3" is a lot of drop if not going bags. Springs alone will not accomplish. I dropped about 1.6" on vogtland springs and it is a happy medium IMO. Vogtland sells 2" springs but I think that is the lowest.

Even on my 1.6's, if I go over a hump or pothole at speed, I scrape. As for install, if you are thinking of springs or coilovers then do it yourself, if you have the time. Not that difficult.

-Dan
Dan, do you have pictures? Maybe 1.6" is the height I'm looking for. I'm not really sure but I just want a slight drop.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Keep in mind most of the people that are quoting prices for springs only are using stock shocks. While that will in fact work for a while it isn't the correct way to alter the suspension. If you go with springs you should consider uprated shocks/struts as well. The reason for this is due to increased spring rates and the range of travel. On the factory units you will go outside of the recommended operating range. This means that over time you will put too much stress on the unit and eventually blow them. The ride will likely become more bouncy over time. My suggestion would be a coilover setup as you can adjust it where you want and the shock's valving is matched to the spring rate of the spring. You get a smoother ride this way and more reliability. If you are stuck on shock/strut/spring combo look at some aftermarket shocks that are designed to work with lowered increased rate springs.

·
Banned
1,913 Posts
Got my FK Silverline X's off a buddy for only $100. (all four inserts were shot)

Got him to warranty all four inserts for me. (~$250)

Install was only $250.

So, FK Silverline X's bought/installed only $600.

·
Registered
233 Posts
$3500 for bags installed...
LOL YOLOO

·
Banned
1,913 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts