VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just saw that and got me thinking .... how hard is it to do, how much does it cost and is it reliable?
That is the one thing honestly missing forom the xb that is keeping me from buying it.
I mean if you use enough weather stripping i dont see how it wouldnt seal properly.

Modified by Hurleysurf24 at 3:55 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Re: How much does it cost to install an aftermarket sunroof? (Hurleysurf24)

The dealer let a local shop install the sunroof in my 03 Cavalier. They charged around $500 for a power sunroof that slides over the roof(called a spoiler sunroof).
If I was you, I would pay a little more, and get an in-built sunroof(one where the sunroof glass slides under the roof, instead of over it). When they install that one, they will hook up drain lines, so if water does leak past the roof, it drains out onto the ground. It should cost around $800.
BTW, I'm not sure about how durable against leaks these sunroofs are, but they can't be too much worse than a factory roof. Go check out the some of the old VW Jetta, Corrado, Passat, etc forums, and you'll see topics relating to leaking sunroofs, so factory ones aren't perfect either. I think that the idea that aftermarket sunroofs leak more than factory ones, is an old wives tale. If you go through the dealer, I'm sure they'll get a good shop to install it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Re: How much does it cost to install an aftermarket sunroof? (Brett92)

I had a Webesto installed in my Blazer about 5 years ago, no leakes. The shop did an excellent job. The only thing is that it rattles some times, all I do is open it then shut it and the rattle is gone.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
around here the going rate seems to be $800-1200
I was thinking the same thing about the xB, but I thought one of those giant cloth sun roofs would be reallt cool so the whole roof opens up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts