VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering...I'm not into g60's and they are a grey area with me. I was just wondering because I know x-flow can pull in like 240whp with a turbo and that is safe to drive daily and so forth. I know that 1.8t's can pull in any where from 220whp-350whp and that's safe to drive daily...what about a g60..what is the most you've heard on a daily driver?

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: How much hp can a g60 pull in? (THE GAME)

The magic number seems to be about 200 whp. There are people who have gotten better than that, but there's a handful of people on this board who have dailys that are juuuust under that number.
That's mostly for peopel still running the g60 charger. The Lysholm is really too new (imho) for anyone to know exactly what it can do, and turbo conversion people can hit higher numbers - Sam had a turbo conversion doing something liek 225 or 230 whp as a daily.
-Nate

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: How much hp can a g60 pull in? (OttawaG60)

quote:[HR][/HR]Wasn't Sam's 215 whp?[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, maybe. All those numbers floating around in me head. . . they get themselves mixed up sometimes.

-Nate

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Re: How much hp can a g60 pull in? (THE GAME)

I'm thinking around 215-230 whp. I'm getting mine dynoed May 18th, I'll give you some #s. I'm going to run it at 10, 15, and 20 lbs of boost.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: How much hp can a g60 pull in? (CorradoG60)

All depends on how strict you are when you say "G60." All stock motor parts? Stock bottom end, but different forced induction? G-Lader on a 2.1L 16V?
If you're loose with the term, there are "G60's" making over 275 at the wheels, although there probably aren't many in the USA.
I'd figure an all-stock car in terms of hardware, but with mods allowed (headwork to the stock 8v head, ported G charger) could be good for as much as 225 to the wheels if one wanted to sink all the money required into it and run a very small pulley. If money was no object, I firmly believe a G-charged car will make 225 atw. Although, this would require almost every engine part to be replaced or modified in some way (manifolds, exhaust, head, charger, ignition, fuel system, etc).
Most "modded" G60s at Stage 3 or 4 specs make between 160 and 180 at the wheels, and those with extra motor work seem to go as high as 190 (hi Llew!).
The turbo cars are making slightly more when they are tuned well, and running 15+ psi (on T3 based turbos), appx 170 to 200 atw, again, with highger numbers coming from those cars with extra motorwork AND running higher boost levels than a G-Lader can reliably put out (15 to 20 psi).
The lysholm-charged cars seem to fall in between the two (G and Turbo), although I don't think there have been enough un-biased results published to make any sort of answer "definite" when it comes to the lysholm. But I can say that it *does* feel torquier than the G-Lader did. But the question was about HP, not TQ.
I have done all 3 now, and I will post results with the most recent setup (lysholm) as soon as the motor is assembled and broken-in. I'm assuming this will be around mid-June. I am expecting 195 to 205 to the wheels as long as the weather cooperates (ie, it's not 100 degrees the day I decide to run). I think this is a pretty accurate estimate considering my setup...you can mail me if you want details, but the list is long!

It seems obvious, though...the small 8v G60 motor was NOT meant to generate high HP. Rather, it's meant to deliver the TQ of a motor appx twice its size. And I think it does that pretty well. Most V6's around the time the Corrado was introduced put out the same numbers as the little G60. To make it a high-HP motor, you're going to need deep wallets. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Best of luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts