VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the MK4 Jetta w/9007 bulbs http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif + aftermarket heavy duty wire harness on each bulb. Since the hi/low are combined in the same bulb, I'll need 2 relays per bulb. Each bulb has 3 wires, 1 hi, 1lo, and 1 ground. By adding 2 relays to each bulb, how much more light output can I expect? Also by doing this, will I beable to safely run hi wattage bulbs (85/100)? (i already have heavy duty wire harness on each bulb)
BTW, please dont tell me to get ecodes because I just cant afford them right now, altho I'd really like to in the future. But for now, I just want to get the most I can out of these crappy 9007 bulbs.....Thanx

[Modified by 20vWolf, 8:07 AM 1-24-2003]

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Re: How much more light output will I get by adding relays? (20vWolf)

I saw a thread about this before because i was looking to improve my stock lighting as well. They suggested measuring the actual voltage that the bulbs are getting, it should read like 14 volts, if not then you would need relays to boost the voltage up to 14 volts. IMO if you already have heavy duty wiring you could do relays plus higher wattage bulbs because you made sure that the stock wiring won't burn up when you ask it to push more juice. That's all the help i can supply as i'm doing the research myself to achieve better lighting without spending money i don't have on e-codes or oem hid setup. Maybe someone else can chime in with more useful info.
good luck

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

How much you gain from relays depends on how much voltage you are losing in your wiring now.
On our Dodge Caravan (9004 bulbs), I measured 13.4 volts at the battery and 11.45 volts at the bulb socket with the stock wiring. With relays and heavy duty wiring, I'm getting about 13.3 volts now. Combined with Sylvania XtraVision bulbs, the light output was about double what I had before I did the relays and heavy duty wiring.
If you are losing a lot of voltage, the relays and heavy duty wiring helps a lot. If you are getting nearly full voltage to the bulbs, then the relays don't do much. With most cars, the stock wiring and harnesses really are pretty marginal, and relays usually help quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How much more light output will I get by adding relays? (Racer_X)

Thats pretty much what I thought. Let me ask this...What is the best bulb I can get in 9007? I dont want any blu coated bulbs as they actually reduce light output. Id like to have something like the Phillips Vision Plus but they dont make 9007. Anything like that avail in 9007. Also I dont want a bulb that has that stock yellowish bulb. Thanx

[Modified by 20vWolf, 4:24 PM 1-24-2003]

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

I don't know about what's "best." There's a certain amount of personal preferences involved there, too.
I've been very happy with the Sylvania/Osram XtraVisions, and they also make a SilverStar bulb which is supposed to be brighter and whiter than the XtraVisions.
Philips has similar high output bulbs. I can't remember the tradenames they use for theirs.
I would probably stay with one of those two manufacturers. Both are known for excellent quality products at good prices.
I've used PIAA bulbs before, and I wasn't terribly impressed. They were good, but in my opinion, they were overpriced for what I got. I wouldn't recommend any off brand stuff from third world countries. I've had bad experiences with some of those bulbs.

·
Banned
1,346 Posts

Even if you add relay to your Jetta just to squeez that juice out, you won't see too much improvement.
Best bet is to go with H4 application, Ecode then adding quality HID kit.
Yup $$ is issue for everyone.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Re: How much more light output will I get by adding relays? (GTiandrew)

He's got an A4. If he wants HID, he would be best to go with the OEM HID lamps.
If "adding quality HID kit" means installing HID capsules in optics designed for halogen light sources, that is always a bad idea. It sucks for anyone on the road with you who has to deal with the blinding glare, and it doesn't really help you see any better because you get a lot of glare, too, and you have to mis-aim your headlights to cut down the glare for oncoming traffic.

[Modified by Racer_X, 12:03 AM 1-25-2003]

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Re: How much more light output will I get by adding relays? (Racer_X)

quote:[HR][/HR]He's got an A4. If he wants HID, he would be best to go with the OEM HID lamps.
If "adding quality HID kit" means installing HID capsules in optics designed for halogen light sources, that is always a bad idea. It sucks for anyone on the road with you who has to deal with the blinding glare, and it doesn't really help you see any better because you get a lot of glare, too, and you have to mis-aim your headlights to cut down the glare for oncoming traffic.
[HR][/HR]​
You will also run into similar problems running high-wattage lamps in a housing not designed for that much light. The relays will help as well as better lamps. The Sylvania Xtravisions have worked very well for me thus far. If you truly want better light, e-codes are going to be your best bet. Don't go spending tons of money on something you'll have to change in 6 months. Do the relays and Xtravisions, but leave the hi-watt lamps on the shelf. Get better optics when you can.

[Modified by Clean97GTi, 5:06 AM 1-26-2003]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts