VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade the turbo and bring the power to around 260whp. Mileage in the car is fairly low and everything works fairly well, no issues. I've done an APR tune with all the bolt-ons in my mk4 4-speed auto and even beating on it, it still takes it. So that gives me hope. I've heard the 5-speed tiptronics are a healthier, more able trans than the standard 4-speed auto's. Anyone been in this territory?

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any TCU flashes that can assist in overall smoothness to help avoid catastrophic failure?

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Not really. GIAC offers their "tip chip" but that's intended to simply speed up shifts. It's not going to improve longevity, may even reduce it. The failures aren't software-related.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Upgraded trans fluid cooling can help increase longevity. There are also high performance torque converters capable of withstanding higher loading. Call these guys and ask them about your application.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/index.shtml

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good stuff there. Just pricey. Trans would cost more than what I paid for the car.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I was suggesting just an upgraded torque converter, not an entire race-built trans. If that's out of the budget, additional trans fluid cooling can be done for much less. Scan through the classifieds on this and other forums looking for a used cooler to save a few bucks. Keeping the fluid temps down will help everything in the trans to last longer with the additional loading.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. I'm not too familiar with auto trans. Isn't a torque converter kinda like a clutch/pressure plate on a manual (it sits inside the trans bellhousing)??

·
Registered
821 Posts
Isn't a torque converter kinda like a clutch/pressure plate on a manual (it sits inside the trans bellhousing)??
Yes. And it serves a similar function. Like a clutch, it acts as the coupling device between the engine and transmission. It uses fluid to transfer torque from the input side to the output side.

In simple terms, think of a boat propeller spinning and pushing water through a second propeller. The second propeller will spin because it is being driven by the water flow from the first propeller.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.