VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium R Line
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to have my winter tires mounted and balanced on a new set of 18in wheels I just received from tirerack. What are people generally paying? I called a firestone in my town and was quoted $160.00 lol, I then advised him tirerack have their price for 40-45 profile at 14.50 a tire. Then he changed the price to 76.00, but they're totally booked today. What prices have you all been quoted/paid? Thanks for your input. Mike

·
Registered
193 Posts
The shop I worked at in high school would charge $16 plus sales tax per tire for mounting and balancing if I remember correctly. That’s about what I paid last time I had it done at another local shop, but I’ve never been to a firestone and only pick up my tires from tire rack, so I don’t have experience with either of their install services. Wherever you go just make sure they use quality equipment so you don’t run into balancing problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like they quoted you intially the price for road force balancing, then re-quoted for standard mount and balance.

Road force is probably not necessary on winter tires. I do RF balancing on my summer tires though.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Costco is $15 per wheel and u get nitro fill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Only if purchased from Costco.

Going rate for standalone mount/balance should be 20-30 per corner.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Sounds like they quoted you intially the price for road force balancing, then re-quoted for standard mount and balance.

Road force is probably not necessary on winter tires. I do RF balancing on my summer tires though.
Because i'm too lazy to google, what does RF balancing do that's different?

OP just call around a couple places to get a price for your area, but note that this time of year they'll likely all be swamped and won't necessary fight as hard for your business as if they weren't busy. The shop i goto unplugs their phone around now and goes email only because it rings non-stop lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Because i'm too lazy to google, what does RF balancing do that's different?
Applies a roller to the spinning tyre that puts about 1,200 lbs of pressure on it, to simulate how the wheel spins on the road.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Great topic!

The top Tire Rack recommended shop around here would have charged me $172 to mount 4 225/45-17's. That's $43/tire. Wait, it gets better.
When I asked what it would cost when it comes time to do the 235/35-19's, they said $213 ($53/tire) :eek:.

This is a VW not a Lamborghini, and we are talking about mounting a tire not assembling a Rolex. Where do they come up with these prices?

Since these are my winter wheels I took a chance with anther shop - they charged $80 total for all 4 ($20/ea), didn't see any rim damage and the balance is fine. Not sure I would trust them with the prets though.

I need to buy a used Corghi and RF for the garage and set up shop.

·
Registered
145 Posts
snows mount and balance

Well here in Northern Va it will run around 30.00 a wheel using a Hunter road force balance machine. They are the best and a MUST! Of course you can go cheap for 20 a wheel but why? the goal here is a smooth ride and a steering wheel that will not shake in your hands when going down the road.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
IIRC, discount tire does them for 16$/wheel, and may include road force?
They match tire prices, so if that price is dependant on buying tires from them, keep that in mind.

My future wheels require super delicate mounting, balancing, handling, and installing with zero scratching anywhere, to at least the nano level. Willing to pay for that level of service.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
First, never use firestone, ever. They employ cave men who will **** your **** up... I pay $30/tire for mount a road force balancing at an upscale wheel shop.
After my previous tire place moved away I've had my track car's tires mounted and balanced at a local Firestone shop. They've done just as effective a job as the Bridgestone race service truck did for me at Mid Ohio. Because I prefer to mount and torque my own wheels I always take in loose wheels and tires to the shop, so no RF balance. I forget the price, but around $80 all in.

Like anywhere they're good or bad depending on the people who work at that particular shop.

Neil

·
Registered
122 Posts
SNIP... Like anywhere they're good or bad depending on the people who work at that particular shop.
Neil
This has also been my experience for the past 25+ years of using force-balance equipment services. It is truly at the mercy of the machine operators skills and competence, with special attention to after market wheels that are involved and things like their quality of hub adaptor rings and their fitment. And I'd add that I've never had a set of wheels/tires come from Tire Rack that were not in perfect balance, over the many years I've been buying from them. The trick, unfortunately, is finding a local shop that actually has a person that knows all the ins and outs of force ballancing your next set of tires, mounted on your after market wheels!
-Rod

·
Registered
348 Posts
Great topic!

The top Tire Rack recommended shop around here would have charged me $172 to mount 4 225/45-17's. That's $43/tire. Wait, it gets better.
When I asked what it would cost when it comes time to do the 235/35-19's, they said $213 ($53/tire) :eek:.

This is a VW not a Lamborghini, and we are talking about mounting a tire not assembling a Rolex. Where do they come up with these prices?

Since these are my winter wheels I took a chance with anther shop - they charged $80 total for all 4 ($20/ea), didn't see any rim damage and the balance is fine. Not sure I would trust them with the prets though.

I need to buy a used Corghi and RF for the garage and set up shop.
Is that America's Tire? Last time I called they charge around $100-120 for 19's

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.