VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Re: How much work do you do yourself on your cars? (sar4497)

i probably can do more major stuff than i do its just that i dont trust myself , i usually end up breaking something along the way or loosing something

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Re: How much work do you do yourself on your cars? (SSj4G60)

I usually try to fix as much as I can, and if I can't I'll usually find out whats wrong. I am still learning though and sometimes I don't trust myself with some stuff, but if I mess up I usually find a way to fix what I did wrong.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Re: How much work do you do yourself on your cars? (SSj4G60)

I do as much as I can with the help of my step-dad.
so far powersteering pump, rotors, brake pads, strut tower bar, air filter and intake pipe.
Its gone in for timing belt, clutch, value cover gasket (only cause it was in for the clutch), suspension, and brake proportioning valve.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Re: How much work do you do yourself on your cars? (BananaCo)

haha, my dad's a certified Audi tech with his own shop. He and I are the only ones to touch my car!! (except the Tire discounters guys...
)

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Re: How much work do you do yourself on your cars? (coldweatherblue)

I do everything on my cars except for electrical.
I'm scared to death that I'll light my car on fire doing that.
I leave it to Mr. Dean Futrell if there's wiring that needs a fixin'.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Re: How much work do you do yourself on your cars? (16veebunny)

somewhere between "I can install bolt-ons, suspension kits, brakes, etc." and "I do fluid/filter changes, spark plugs, simple stuff "

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: How much work do you do yourself on your cars? (BananaCo)

quote:[HR][/HR]i dun think i can trust myself to service brakes..[HR][/HR]​
you'll kick yourself when you realize how simple it is (and how much money you can save).

·
Registered
4,937 Posts

I guess it depends on what you call "simple stuff".
I'm a little beyond number 2 but not an expert nor do I have an extensive suply of tools.
I've learned that its best to do my own diagnosis and repairs whenever possible. Then if I either can't figure it out, it's to hard to fix or I can't fit it into my shedule, I take it to a carefuly chosen repair shop. This has saved me a small fortune over the years.
Ive yet to tackle any major internal engine or transmission repairs on anything. I did do my own engine swap on my 79 Rabbit and found that it wasn't that hard. I did it at the shop where my brother in law works one Saturday while he was working overtime. He only helped me if I screamed HELP! or OH poop! But it would have been 10 or even 20 times harder if I'd had to do it at home.
Someday when I am rich I'll have a well stocked garage with a hoist and stuff to tinker on my cars.
How did I get started doing so much of my own work? Glad you asked

After my bad experience with the Vanagon and getting ripped of a few times myself and having watched my mother's nightmarish dealings with her local Mercedes dealer, I decided that I would much rather learn to do my own car repairs than take a second job or drop out of school. At the time that'sexactly what would have been required.
When I was 21 I bought my 1980 Rabbit diesel that already had over 100k miles on it. I drove it almost 200k more before it went to the big wrecking yard in the sky. Having had well over 100k miles put on it in only 2 years it was a bit rough around the edges and needed imediate attention to it for cosmetics. I got quite familiar with the car and gradually began attempting more advance repairs on it.
Shortly after I'd bought it the brake booster pump failed. Shortly after that the alternator came loose. Then 2 of the glow plugs failed. Then it was time for brakes. After that the engine ran away on me. I was getting deeply in the whole. To maintain my freedom I decided to attempt some of my own repairs, it was either that or get a second job.
I soon discovered that working on cars is not nearly as dificult as I'd imagined. I did have to buy some tools but compared to paying $40 an hour and possibly still not having the problem fixed the tools didn't seem so exspensive. I got to the point where I was so comfortable doing my own repairs that I felt safe driving that little Rabbit all over the country, and I did. I've replaced alternator brackets in the middle of the Sonoran desert, re-packed wheel bearings, replaced brake pads, replaced struts, etc etc.
Soon I started doing brake pads and simple stuff like that on my mom's Mercedes Benz's. I had imagined that these cars must be etremely comlex and dificult to work on. (An idea instilled in me by countless over paid Mercedes mechanics.) What I discovered was that if anything, Mercedes were even easier than VW's.
I've now been doing most of my own repairs and modifications for almost 20 years. By learning how cars work I have been able to save friends and family hundred to thousands of dollars as well.
Sometimes I enjoy doing my own work but sometimes I enjoy the luxury of having someone else do it. But when I do that I am reminded of why I started doing them myself in the first place.
Incompetence and dishonesty in the car repair business. Unfortunately usually eating up my time and money in unreasonable amounts. Doing my own work can save a lot of grief and agravation.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]i dun think i can trust myself to service brakes..
you'll kick yourself when you realize how simple it is (and how much money you can save).[HR][/HR]​
...and at least in my experience, how they will give you plenty of warning if you did something wrong-- at least on the conventional dual circuit, non abs, hydraulic systems I've worked on.
So far, I've done everything on all my cars except wheel alignments. When I rebuild the engine in the Spit, I'll have a good machine shop balance the reciprocating bits, but I'll (hopefully!) be doing all the rest.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Done it all from full resprays to engine builds but its electrics im not 100% with.Fitting gauges,ice etc is easy its just the deep insides of the vw wiring i cant sort out sometimes.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,964 Posts
Re: How much work do you do yourself on your cars? (scottuk)

I can't pretend to have as much talent and knowledge as a lot of guys on here when it comes to car mechanics. I try to do as much as I am comfortable with. I'm truely a beginner. I am using my Jetta as a learning tool, and I must say, so far, so good. I just replaced the thermostat/housing on the Corrado the other week. I try to stay away from working on that car because frankly the VR6 scares me, so I was happy when everything seemed to work out ok.
I always take the car somewhere to get an oil change. I used to do them on my Fox, so I'm satisfied that I can do them. They are just too much of a pain to do w/out a garage, in an apartment complex. Not to mention, I don't really care about spending an extra 30 dollars per year having it done. I would much rather take the car to the dealer for this, than a place like Jiffy Lube, so that's where I usually end up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: How much work do you do yourself on your cars? (dolemite)

I haven't had to do anything on my car yet(aftermarket warranty is nice), but I don't want to have to take it in to the shop again so I think my next repairs will be hand done. I'm a little scared of doing that though due to all the electronics.....

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
Re: How much work do you do yourself on your cars? (crownvic)

I chose the engine rebuild one seeing as how I do all that stuff on my MG, when I have the time. The VW needs to get me places so I usually take it in if it is something that can't be done in a weekend or if I have no time http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
32,061 Posts
Re: How much work do you do yourself on your cars? (16valvedCaddy)

quote:[HR][/HR]everything but alignments.[HR][/HR]​
Wussy
I just eye it

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I do all my Modifications myself. In the year or so I've had my car it's only been to the shop 3 times. 1 for alternator (8 days after I got it), broken distro (2 months), and then the time I broke the head off some bolts on my control arm and I didn't have to tools to fix that. But everything else was all me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.