VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my car up for sale and every time someone responds, it's usually, "good luck, your asking too much"
So, I need to know what everyone thinks my car is worth....don't worry, I'm not selling it, or looking for offers. In fact, is off the market currently for repairs. I just need to know, if I'm asking too much, what's a fair price?
This is it:
1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet-Classic Karmann Edition-Black on black w/ Tan interior-1.8L 8v 4cyl-5 speed-lowering springs (h&r)-upgraded shocks-tinted lights-airbags-cruise control-power windows-power steering-leather bucket seats-CD player-cold air-rear window defroster-convertible boot-garage kept

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Re: How much would you pay for this? (litljenarey)

Nice lookin cabby
is that interior stock? If not where did you get it?
I have the same interior in mine
and I'm pretty
sure mine was swapped in.
My cabby is a 16v however but has some dents in the
body...
I'd guess you could easily get 3k maybe a bit more?
how much were you hoping for? why get rid of it anyway
keep it, you'll miss it if you ditch.
best regards - M

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How much would you pay for this? (exboy99)

the interior is stock, it's the classic edition, so it has all the options.
I'm selling it so I can go to school. I can barely afford the car payment, and insurance as I am now, and if I have drop from full time to part time, I'm screwed. Not to mention, tuition is going to hurt me pretty bad too. I'm REALLY going to miss her alot!
I had it listed for $5000, I took the average price on autotrader, a few similar cars on ebay, edmunds.com, kbb.com and msn auto to come up with that number. I've since dropped it to $4200 (which is the average price of all private listed cars on autotrader) I can't possibly sell it for less than $3500

·
Registered
3,648 Posts

if you're patient you will find the right
buyer but you'll need someone special
to be payin for your cabby because it's
really in great shape. Hope you
can find a way to keep the car and
do school.
for a sweet cabby

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Re: How much would you pay for this? (exboy99)

i think youre asking a fair price. 4000 is not a lot of money for a car that seems to be in really good shape.
have you tried listing it on eBay?
also, just an opinion - those wheels dont show the car off as much as they could. maybe have them finished in silver? again, only an opinion.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

Quote, originally posted by litljenarey »
I had it listed for $5000, I took the average price on autotrader, a few similar cars on ebay, edmunds.com, kbb.com and msn auto to come up with that number. I've since dropped it to $4200 (which is the average price of all private listed cars on autotrader) I can't possibly sell it for less than $3500

Quote, originally posted by dino01 »
also, just an opinion - those wheels dont show the car off as much as they could. maybe have them finished in silver? again, only an opinion.

I agree on the wheels, but adding another expense to the sale has to be cost effective. Nevertheless, if my daughter were a little closer to 16, I'd buy it for her if it is as good as it looks. Definitely try other avenues. You're not out of line with your price at all.
Good luck,
René

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Re: How much would you pay for this? (dino01)

Quote, originally posted by dino01 »

Wheels are definitely a subjective area. However, when I saw the picture of the car I immediately thought: "that'll be $400-$500 to get those wheels refinished correctly." Probably not the first thought you want running through a prospective buyer's mind...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Re: How much would you pay for this? (Kevin Rowley)

Quote, originally posted by Kevin Rowley »

Wheels are definitely a subjective area. However, when I saw the picture of the car I immediately thought: "that'll be $400-$500 to get those wheels refinished correctly." Probably not the first thought you want running through a prospective buyer's mind...

correct - a very subjective area. selling is difficult and if you have the buyer on the back foot right from the outset, then youre at a disadvantage. at least you have it nice n' shiney & great that you have lots of pix.
you really should think about eBay... poeople go crazy on there for a nice car.
best of luck - i always wanted a black A1 at the right price, pity i have my white one.

Modified by dino01 at 4:24 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Re: How much would you pay for this? (dino01)

Get the wheels back to normal... and youll find soem young girl or hot old lady that will pay the loot for it.. looks great otherwise

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: How much would you pay for this? (Iceman0868)

LOL, actually, the wheels were shiny when I got them, they are the stock ones. I like the look of black on black, they look alot better in person than in pictures. For some reason the paint looks really flat in pictures.
The rims are actually not a problem, a little paint thinner should take it right off.
it has 130K miles, almost all highway miles put on from driving it back and forth to FL.

·
Registered
405 Posts

i'll be in wilmington this weekend/next week, i might just have to take that car off your hands

·
Registered
7,509 Posts

From the pics the car looks like it is in great shape. As the others mentioned the wheels are probably a determining factor for quite a few potential buyers. The all black gives it a "Darth Vader's Cabby" look. Even cars that are all blacked out (Impala SS, Mercury Marauder to name a few) still have silver alloys to provide some contrast. It would probably be cheaper (and easier) to pick up a set of 14 inch teardrop alloys on eBay rather than having those wheels refinished. Or just pick up some cheap steel rims. I think once you lose the black rims you should have no problem getting $3,500 to $4,000 for it (especially now that the summer weather has kicked in).

·
Registered
7,509 Posts

I also wanted to add that cars don't seem to be selling for what their supposed book values are these days. I am currently in the market for an Audi A6 wagon and I have been watching the auctions on eBay. The auctions are barely reaching what the supposed "trade in value" is. I have also been watching auctions for Honda Accords as that is what my wife currently drives and we will be selling it soon. According to Kelly Blue Book the trade in value for a 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe with around 30K miles is $15,650. I've been watching them for a month now and the most I've seen one go for is $14,500. With interest rates so low I think quite a few people are taking advantage of the incentives offered by the dealers and manufacturers on new cars. Which means it's a great time to find a deal on a used car but a bad time to try and sell one. I think the best way to find a realistic value for your car is to simply watch what other Cabbys are selling for and then make an unbiased decision as to how your Cabby compares to them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, that's how I had come up with the original price, I was watching for what other's had sold for, mostly though ebay, autotrader and the local papers, insurance companies call that Fair Market Value...and no one seemed to be responding to the price I had listed. That's was the purpose of this thread....to see what most people think a fair price was.
To be honest, kelly blue book is a sham. Many, many, many cars sell for WAY less than blue book "value" for the car is, because the market is so flooded with them and there isn't much demand, like your Accord for instance. How many people want an Accord, go out looking specifically for one? Almost none, because there are several different cars, Nissans, Acuras, Volkswagons, all have the same features that someone looking to buy that wants. So, it's basic economics, they teach you in middle school, more choices and the prices drop.
Now, look up auctions on a ferrari, an S2000, a VR-4 spyder (thats a 3000gt convertible, twin turbo) see how high they get....the supply is less, so the prices those sell for are WAY outrageously above blue book.
"Blue Book Value" is a rip off idea of "black Book" which is what banks, dealers, and insurance companies use to set thier prices. The black book comes out every month with updates and a price RANGE, blue book comes out three times a year or something, and it has an average price....as though a convertible sells the same in the dead of winter as it would in early summer. If you can get your hands on a black book, then you have a good chance.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif dont go less than 3500.00 and I like the black wheels!

·
Registered
18,222 Posts

Considering this is a '93 and a "Classic Collector's Edition", here's my penny's worth:
1) $5000 is too much, because:
2) Wheels are not original (get rid of the paint)
3) The parking lights are not original (get rid of the darkened lenses)
4) The headliner is not falling into proper placement when top is down
5) Miles are just under average, rather than low (75k or less)
Collector Editions that sell for $5000+ are in essentially pristine and original condition and have low miles.
I'd start at around $4000, but would expect to get around $3700.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: How much would you pay for this? (kamzcab86)

kamzcab86- thanks for your input, I saw your site, it's great....keep working on it!
I have taken the tint off the lights. I had to replace the brake light, so instead of bothing to do that one, I undid the others, it's only spray on stuff and comes off with rubbing alcohol. (In case anyone's wondering, I closed the trunk hatch too hard and cracked the lense)
I'm not sure what your referring to when you said this "4) The headliner is not falling into proper placement when top is down" I'm assuming your talking about in the picture of the rear seats.
If so, the top isn't down....it's only partially down, and I had been trying to find the screw to adjust the top, so I'd pulled the headliner to the side.
If you are talking about the other pictures, could you let me know how it's supposed to look. Because I've never had a convertible before this one, and I'd like to know if something is wrong with it so I can have it fixed.
Thanks

Jenny

·
Registered
3,386 Posts

I joined in this a little late, but did want to add my two cents. Your Cabby seems to be in very nice shape, considering age and milage. And, I feel that you can get the price you are wanting for her, but in fairness, it will take time to sell it at the price you want. Most people looking for an older car are also looking for "cheap", most people who want an A1 are also looking for a steal. So it is a matter of someone who wants her for what she is-a beautiful Cabby in nice shape.
However, if you are needing to sell her quickly, that may only happen if she is a bargain price. And dont forget-some people will only buy if they feel the price has been negotiated a bit-so keep this in mind when you post your asking price. You want to keep that "cushion" in the price.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts