VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got home at about 8-8:30 this evening in hopes of getting the work done to my car, which included driver's side ball joint, and passenger side tie rod end, ball joint and inner cv boot. Well, the time is now 1:50 and I am just getting inside. Needless to say, I won a couple of battles, but I lost the war. Tie rod end and ball joint are replaced, but I couldn't get the cv boot. I started to disassemble the outer end, ie the caliper, disc, and such, then I jumped to taking the bolts off the inner side where the boot is. So that comes off easily, then I tried to pop the outer end out of the wheel bearing housing and out of frustration i tapped the end with the 5lb sledge. Well, I didn't realize how stupid this was until I reassembled everything and tried to put that axle nut back on. Well, the end is a little mishapen from the hits, so it now doesn't want to go back on. Tomorrow I will work on getting a thread or two cut off of the end of that axle to hope that the nut will go back on. My lessons learned tonite, sometimes you are in over your head, put it back together and let someone else do it. Patience.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
Re: How my car kicked my a$$ tonite. (gti16vman)

Good luck man, It really could have gone worse. I've made it a rule to stop working on my b3 in the evening as I seem to get frustrated hella easy.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts

Yeah I learned that one too recently. I didn't know the VR6 shafts were glued in to the hub. Thankfully I found out before damage and bought a hub puller, but it took 3 days to finish.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Re: How my car kicked my a$$ tonite. (A2B4guy)

Air tools are your answer once again....it would have been butter if you had an air hammer with a rounded-end tip. Oh well, I borrowed my friends air tools last time but next time I'll be on my own.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Re: How my car kicked my a$$ tonite. (CarlosFL)

When you need to pound on a threaded part, the best thing to do is spin on the nut, right to the point where the nut and the face of the bolt are flush on the side you will tap. The the threads are protected, and there is more surface to take the force. If you put the nut on and it isn't fluch with the end of the bolt and hit it, you then risk damaging the threads aswell as the force will be carried out to the treads only.
My buddy mechanic taught this trick. He used to work on heavy equipment (like lifts and dozers) and that type of machinery often needs a good pounding to get things to move.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: How my car kicked my a$$ tonite. (iamnotemo)

Yeah, I understand the night point, but it just gets too hot during the day. I'm now off to see if I can fix my wrongdoings.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well, I won. I hacked off a couple of threads and got the axle nut back on and then replaced the drivers side ball joint. Ahh, I feel much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts