VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to make my A2 Jetta a TDI this summer. The only way that I would be able to afford this swap would be to find a totaled TDI somewhere and buy the whole car wrecked. It would also have to have less than 100,000 miles on it to make it worthwile.
Is this an impossible task? Anybody know where I can get a wrecked TDI?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Re: How rare are wrecked TDIs? (Fahrvergnuugen)

Why not make your Corrado a TDI? I bet it'd get killer fuel economy with such a low coefficient of friction...

Sorry, this post wasn't at all helpful. I need a few

[Modified by Beowulf, 10:34 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
482 Posts
Re: How rare are wrecked TDIs? (Beowulf)

I'd check over at the Forums at Fred's TDI Club. They have a classified section, and I've seen a couple of motors listed on there. You will want to find a wrecked one as you're gonna need everything out of the engine bay to the fuse box.
Trust me, you want to visit Fred's before you undertake a project like this. There are a couple of people working on putting TDI's in A1's so they can give you some guidance, and well, the people over there know more about the TDI than 98% of VW techs.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

Probably best get a friend who is a 'rebuilder', and frequents insurance auctions.
Last TDI I saw was A4 center punched hard, so not salvageable as a driver ~$4000 w/ ~12k miles
I hear the A3 is a better choice for swaps, should be able to find a totaled one, but might want your contact to be in Canada (better odds)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How rare are wrecked TDIs? (janb)

Thanks for the info. I'm headed over to the tdiclub.com

This is gonna be a fun project!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

I don't know how much you want to spend, but there's a few new engines floating around somewhere... something like $2500 if i remember.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts