VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How reliable is your Volkswagen?
My B4 Passat was a 3, but my A3 GTi is about a 5. I'm more curious if anyone has 8's or 10's.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (iamdoingthat)

I've had my for 2 years, the only thing that ever went was a wheel bearing. I change oil every 5000km, car has about 175000KM on it now.
There was also the little incident with the curb, and I had to replace half of the right-front side, but it wasn't the dubs fault, my stoopidity

Overall, its great, and I hope it stays that way..

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (Fly952.0)

102K on my 2.0 Jetta. Bad 2nd gear synchro (replaced under warranty) and the timing belt slipped throwing the timing of the car off to the point that it wouldn't run. Truly a amazingly reliable car IMHO. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I luckily have been able to put most of my money into mods, and not repairs.
Passatrcr

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (passatrcr)

I just hit 65k on my 97, the only problem I had was when I first bought it, it had a bad plug wire. And I run it hard. Its almost like its just being broken in.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (Gazabomb)

my dub has 96K km on it and it's still going strong. Although I do hear an odd rattling when I open the hood.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (Golf_CL)

Mine had a lot of little problems that would have cost too much to fix. When the front window regulator went and the cooling system thingie was leaking, there was no way I was putting more money into that car....so i did the next best thing and traded it in.

·
Banned
5,873 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (VAVentoGLX)

mine has always treated me right. and so did my a2 when i had it.
but this is what i do every morning....
(pray to the god of skinny punks and vw's)

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (VolkSchnell-GTI)

My 94 Jetta is reliable as heck at 92,000 miles. I change the oil and fill it with gas and it goes wherever I want it to go. My wife's 95 Golf has the typical VW-rattles, which annoy her to no end, which in turn become my problem to fix. Usually it's nothing; heat shield/fuse cover/etc. I've even replaced the passenger side CV joint because of a rattling noise which has turned out to be caused by the last person replacing the brake pads not re-using the anti-vibration shims. The pads are rattling inside the caliper. No biggie. So basically her car is fine, too.
T.C.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub?

I have never had any problems with my car, and it's at 92k now. Other than routine preventative maintenance (like the timing belt at 80K, etc), it's been the best car I've ever owned. Beleive it or not, it's still on the original clutch, and has only had the battery replaced once (although it has been serviced regularly)! My Dodge's auto trannie started to give at 40k, and my Acura needed a new motor at 120k.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts

I love my jet....I've only had a couple of minor probs....belt, battery couple water hoses...thats about it....170,000 miles and still pulls like a bat out'o'hell...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (95SIXPOT)

My Jetta is at 84,000 right now...owned it for 2 1/2 years...and besides that lil oil drain plug incident*fault of the Auto shop, not mine* I havent had any problems...change oil, regular maintenance & its all good...most of my money goes towards mods http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

96 with 68K, so far I've replaced:
water pump
alternator & tensioner pulley
serpentine belt
secondary air pump+valve
O2 sensor
not bad for 6 years this Feb. , but these parts were not cheap either. Overall I'd say it's very reliable, just have to keep up the routine maintanance.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (oldkidVR6)

I have a B4 too.....and even god won't be able to stop me if things keep keepin on!

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (vrsik)

No probs so far...of course, it's only got 38K on it
Plenty of sqeaks though, mostly caused by the stiffer suspension. I need to do something about the tops of the door panels sqeaking against their retainer molding soon

·
Registered
2,975 Posts

Only really bad problem was ebrake cable had to be replaced (most likely from "spirited" winter driving).
Other than that normal wear and tear crap. Except for the super tough VR6 tranny http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Oh well, I love it...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Well I just got a 98 Ginster and this is what has happened in the last two days. CE light is one so i bring it to the local dealer. They check out all the little things i asked about and it turns out my dub was in an accident before I bought it. So the local dealer said bring it to VW of naples (where I bought it) and tell them they should not have certified the car the way it was. The oil pan was all dented up and scratched, you can kinda see re painted parts, not to bad tho. Well we called VW of naples and they are being good about it and told me they will replace what ever needs to be fixed for free. and look over the whole car looking for more things. So far my local dealers have been pretty kool!

·
Banned
6,135 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (WickedGLX)

I just change the oil every 3,000 miles do the plugs every 20,000. I just did them for the second time. Let it warm up for 5-10 minutes in the morning. I also replaced the air filter with the K&N. Mine just purrs like a good little six.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Re: How reliable is your dub? (late_apex)

i just put 96000 km on my 97 golf CL yesterday and i have never had a problem with it just gas and oil change every 3000km
i'm good to my car so it returns the favor

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.