VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a serious topic for discussion here. There are SO MANY recent stories of people racing that lose control and end up killing others. This is my absolute worst nightmare...nevermind that I don't even street race. What is concerning me, however, is that whenever an accident happens, the police are always like "The driver was traveling at 85 MPH and couldn't control his car" as if 85 were this hugely obscene speed.
I will come right out and say that when I come back from school, for example, and I hit those LONG STRAIGHT EMPTY FARM roads of Middle Illinois, I easily cruise at 115MPH. Granted, I have an aftermerket suspension and ZR rated tires so my car feels COMPLETELY SOLID, but I can't help buy wonder what happens to these people that spin out at 85MPH and cause an accident. Does the car just lose control? See, this scares the hell out of me, because it makes me worry that this will happen to me. Yet, on the other end of the spectrum, some of the European guys on here talk about constantly traveling 130MPH+ on the autobahn.
So the question is, in our cars, what do you think is a safe highway speed? And, how stable are our cars?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Re: How safe/unsafe is it in our cars at 100+ MPH (VarLordahl)

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey guys, I have a serious topic for discussion here. There are SO MANY recent stories of people racing that lose control and end up killing others. This is my absolute worst nightmare...nevermind that I don't even street race. What is concerning me, however, is that whenever an accident happens, the police are always like "The driver was traveling at 85 MPH and couldn't control his car" as if 85 were this hugely obscene speed.
I will come right out and say that when I come back from school, for example, and I hit those LONG STRAIGHT EMPTY FARM roads of Middle Illinois, I easily cruise at 115MPH. Granted, I have an aftermerket suspension and ZR rated tires so my car feels COMPLETELY SOLID, but I can't help buy wonder what happens to these people that spin out at 85MPH and cause an accident. Does the car just lose control? See, this scares the hell out of me, because it makes me worry that this will happen to me. Yet, on the other end of the spectrum, some of the European guys on here talk about constantly traveling 130MPH+ on the autobahn.
So the question is, in our cars, what do you think is a safe highway speed? And, how stable are our cars?[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
9,469 Posts

I've never been to Germany but I hear the Autobahn is like smooth as silk compared to our highways, I think thats where most of the problem comes with high speed accidents- unexpected roadway changes (debris, sand, a corner
)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

I dont think 85 is unreasonable, it depends on how much time you spend at that speed and how good you are at car control which is definately an art. Before the gas crunch people went 85 on the highways all the time and thats in 60s and 50s era cars, i feel very safe in my 'dub, although i never want to feel TOO safe and get sloppy. Bottom Line: drive at a speed you are comfortable with, dont over do it.

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts

A "safe" highway speed is whatever the State determines is a "safe" highway speed.
Keep it at 55, not 115 and you'll be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.