VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I drove my wife's Passat (2004, 66K, 1.8T, fwd, tip) on a road trip last weekend and it seemed to be quite er... slow. Mostly this is when in full automatic mode and at low speeds in town when the revs drop down out of boost range (~1500 rpm or so). I found that in order to make it up a hill that I had to press sharply on the accelerator (not down to the kick down) to make it downshift. Once the downshift happens and the boost comes up, everything is fine but off boost it just seems slow. Is this normal or is it indicative of slowly decaying performance. I perform all of the maintenance myself, by the book, but my Bentley isn't terribly instructive in cases such as this.

I wonder also if it isn't a matter of perspective as I drive a 2011 GTI w/ DSG. When we got the car back in 04, I had a 98 Audi A4 1/8TQMS and the Passat definitely felt quicker than the Audi. But if you drive the GTI like you drive the Passat, you would be constantly spinning the tires and attracting all sorts of unwanted attention.:D

Thanks in advance for your input!
Steve

·
Registered
352 Posts
To answer your question, SLOW!

That being said, anything that would give a significant decrease in power would also elicit a major change in mileage and also throw a CEL. I think your fine.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
...but off boost it just seems slow.
Well, of course. Off boost, it's a just lowly 1.8L engine trying to lug around a 3400 lb. car. What do you expect a turbocharged 1.8 to feel like off boost?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.