VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How To: 02a Hydraulic Clutch setup into Blue.

31K views 62 replies 33 participants last post by  scirocconaut 
#1 ·
So I rocked the Honda/eurovan setup for about 1 month and honestly...it's a leg workout. Not that it didn't work...but when I jumped in my 16vT with a Spec Stage 3 clutch setup and it was WAY easier to operate...I knew I wanted something different.
That said, my donor car was the same Corrado that my transmission came from. I use all 1991 G60 parts.
When I made mysetup I wanted to do it a little differently than funksoulkitty and eurospeed though. Both of their designs bolt the clutch master cylinder to the firewall and I really didn't want to do that(strength being the reason)
I also wanted something somewhat factory...you know...like a bracket. Here's what I came up with.
I took the Corrado bracket that would have mounted to the firewall and sawzalled off the part that held the clutch master cylinder.

Then I grinded it down to match a mk1 brake booster bracket and like so:

Note - there is a VERY important measurement here. The distance from the master cylinder hole to the other large hole is very critical. It plays a part in the future. If it's to close, when you made the clutch pedal you will hit the steering knucke. The distance from the left master cylinder stud is 1.5 inches to the right bolt hole on the rabbit bracket(center to center). If I did this again I would have made it two inches because I hit a little snag with my steering knuckle later down the line.
Tack it up:

Here's the behind pic. You can see here that I had to cut off a stud from the factory Corrado bracket so it would sit flush with the rabbit firewall:

To make the pedal I blatantly copied funksoulkitty and eurospeed. Just a quick trip to Lowe's Motorsports for some mild steel and bam...you got this:

I went on to drill a 3/8 inch hold install a stud and weld it up.
For a little more strength I tossed in this piece of steel and welded it up. Hit with some cheapo rustoleum and got this:

Now it was time for the install. Tossed EVERYTHING back in(fail there...should have waited). Had the wife help me bleed the system and ran out of fluid. Piss. Got some more fluid and continued the bleeding. Damn...Houston...we have a problem. because of the geometry I was not getting enough pedal action to fully disengage the clutch. Funksoulkitty ran into this exact same problem. Again...using her idea. I went back to the drawing board and angled the master cylinder down. You cannot simply lower the mounting point on the clutch pedal or you will bind!
While it was installed on Round 1 I also noticed VERY serious firewall flexing when my wife was pushing the clutch pedal in. Again I copied eurospeed's idea but running a little outrigger and bolting up to the factory framerail.
To angle the master cylinder all I did was cut around where it was except for the top and bent the piece in. Once it looked somewhat straight I welded it up. After a little paint the finished product looked like this:

After reangling the mastercylinder I had to redo my clutch pedal but it was really nothing special to look at. Just remember to space out your clutch master cylinder enough so you don't bind up on the knuckle.
Once everything looked good I bolted it all up and snapped this beauty:

Oh yeah..dig the resevoir which is some VW beetle brake resevoir from an unknown year. One day when I hit baller status I'll get a brake resevoir which will have a line dedicated to the clutch master cylinder. Until this..zipties will do

Initial test drive was AWESOME. I love the way it feels and how fast I can actuate the clutch from full disenage to engage. Even the wife approved.

Anyone wanna buy my old setup now

Thanks for viewing,
Jason

Modified by vdubspeed at 8:44 PM 10-4-2009

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: How To: 02a Hydraulic Clutch setup into Blue. (GaTeIg)

Quote, originally posted by GaTeIg »
When is the ECU going to find a happy home?

I know I know!!!
It's actually in it's home...I'm just going to make a bracket to stabilize it and protect it from the elements. Not the nicest way to treat an ECU with an $890 chip in it

#7 ·
Re: (chrisbmx68)

Quote, originally posted by chrisbmx68 »
looks classy well done, so do the cable converted o2a's really feel that terrible? I heard the pedal throw is quite short and if you have an upgraded pressure plate its quite the work out.

Well for one...the eurovan cable is worthless. Don't even think about it because you can't get enough throw. The honda setup is decent because you can adjust it.
I think mine would have been better but I noticed when I pulled the pedal cluster out that my factory cable mount had bent causing a pretty bad angle and some rubbing. That would have helped but it's still tough. And yeah...I couldn't imagine it without an upgraded PP. Way to hard.
Hydro feels real nice http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·

good info, I think I will just keep it under 200hp and not worry about 02a stuff

Good luck

I'm using the Honda cable with my setup and yes the pedal travel is quite short at the top of the pedal, I have been thinking about trying to adjust my cable but haven't got around to it yet.

#10 ·

good info, I think I will just keep it under 200hp and not worry about 02a stuff

02a is good shiz. Now with the hydro seutp it feels like a new car!
Hell...if I get a wild hair up my ass I got an 02m outback from my bro's 20th with a bad 3rd. Might have to bolt it to a block and start jiggin it up. 6 gears would be SWEET.
But yeah...I love my old 020 on my 16vT but the 02a is much more solid.

#11 ·
Re: (vdubspeed)

Quote, originally posted by vdubspeed »
Hell...if I get a wild hair up my ass I got an 02m outback from my bro's 20th with a bad 3rd. Might have to bolt it to a block and start jiggin it up. 6 gears would be SWEET.

This bolts in similarly as the O2J does in a MKIV ? Uses an aluminum upright ?
If so then bolting it in like my setup would work http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#12 ·
Re: (Shawn B)

nah...02a and 02j are the same.
02m is a whole nother ball game.
check this guy out for an 02m install...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4343490
edit...just started reading this guys thread. HIGHLY advice against buying the eurospeed setup now! The stuff they sent this guy were COMPLETELY built wrong. He had to modify both extensively(cut and reweld)
For all parties interested in going hydro...it seems custom is the only way to go. I should start collecting this brackets and making more now

Modified by vdubspeed at 11:22 PM 10-4-2009

#14 ·

edit...just started reading this guys thread. HIGHLY advice against buying the eurospeed setup now! The stuff they sent this guy were COMPLETELY built wrong. He had to modify both extensively(cut and reweld)
For all parties interested in going hydro...it seems custom is the only way to go. I should start collecting this brackets and making more now

Good work there.
I was wondering when someone was going to mention that infernal eurospeed BS setup.
I have it in my mk1 Jetta and while the firewall bracket worked well enough (with some minor tweaks to the holes they drilled)...the mod they did to the pedal was ALL WRONG.
I ended up having another local shop up here European Speed Sport, completely overhall the pedal cluster. Ended up welding the forked end from a brake booster, to the clutch pedal area, to allow the use of a factory style pin and clip arrangement...the eurospeed setup was bolted through!?!

Must say, I like your firewall bracket a lot more...looks more OEM. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I would rather have bought a setup like this from you, than the Europseed one.

#16 ·
Re: (Crazy Hungarian)

Quote, originally posted by Crazy Hungarian »

Must say, I like your firewall bracket a lot more...looks more OEM. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I would rather have bought a setup like this from you, than the Europseed one.

Yeah...I plan on trying to build some more in the future. The eurospeed kit is the only gig out there and from what I've read...it's not worth buying.

#18 ·
Re: (fast bunny)

Quote, originally posted by fast bunny »
the only thing i would recomand to your setup is making the bralet that mount to the mc removable like i did on mine

so if you ever need to remove the pedale you dont need to take the sterring column out..
dave

NICE!!!
I love it. Makes me wanna go redo my pedal again. I've already thought of a way to make it stronger(I'm worried about the stud bending/breaking)
I never even thought about the removeable part though!!!
Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#20 ·

NICE!!!
I love it. Makes me wanna go redo my pedal again. I've already thought of a way to make it stronger(I'm worried about the stud bending/breaking)
I never even thought about the removeable part though!!!
Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

thanks, it mean a lot coming from you since i look up to a lot of guys in here and your one of them.
the removable part idea came from all the trial and error to make this kit....
dave

#21 ·
Re: (fast bunny)

Quote, originally posted by fast bunny »

thanks, it mean a lot coming from you since i look up to a lot of guys in here and your one of them.
the removable part idea came from all the trial and error to make this kit....
dave

I only had to pull my steering column three times

Oh well...next time it's getting the fastbunny mod http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#22 ·
Re: How To: 02a Hydraulic Clutch setup into Blue. (vdubspeed)

Not the nicest way to treat an ECU with an $890 chip in it

holy crap!!! if there was ever a reason needed to MS my up coming 1.8t project, here it is! haha
awesome job on the bracket action http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#23 ·
Re: How To: 02a Hydraulic Clutch setup into Blue. (-RalleyTuned-)

Quote, originally posted by -RalleyTuned- »

holy crap!!! if there was ever a reason needed to MS my up coming 1.8t project, here it is! haha

Yeah but after dealing with standalone on my first turbo car...I wanted to have something that needed NO attention from me. I just turn the key and it idles PERFECTLY. Never a hesitation. No need to adjust anything and I can still check the codes.
You can make more power on standalone no doubt(well...eurodyne is proving that wrong) but when it comes to daily driving...I didn't want a laptop/hand held programmer anywhere in the equation.

#25 ·
Re: How To: 02a Hydraulic Clutch setup into Blue. (lagomorph)

my 02j eurovan setup is about 30% stiffer than stock pedal feel with standard MKI throw. i am running southbend stg5 with lightened steel flywheel. and it's impossible to not drive in traffic on a small island with a million people. never had any issues.
but, good job on the conversion homie http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#26 ·
Re: How To: 02a Hydraulic Clutch setup into Blue. (Vegeta Gti)

yeah looking back...I really think it would have been fine but because the area that holds the cable was bent and causing BAD chaffing, I think that really made it bad.
I remember a site talking about this back in the day. Never really paid attention to it.
In the end though...I would have had to pull my pedal cluster to reweld it anyway had I stayed with a cable so going hydro just made sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.