VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
I'm just finishing off (ish) my project mk1 cabrio the right hand front door has a half a inch drop so when i try and close it, it is very hard to close, how do i adjust the door to move up? ive tried loose'n the door bolts and jacking up the door, ive tried brute force, the lock wont adjust any more........... can u help me ........
cheers

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Re: how to adjust door........ help (meinit)

go to home depot and buy some washers
open the door all the way and put a toolcase or box under it to stop it from moving/falling
look inside the door jamb. theres two hinges
remove the bolt from the TOP hinge only
put a washer inbeteween the two parts of the hinges
replace bolt

thats it. you might have to play about with various washer thicknessess to get it spot on but something in the region of 1.5mm will get you into about the right position.

·
Banned
294 Posts
Re: how to adjust door........ help (dino01)

Would the alligning of the door cause my pas. window not to roll up correctly? It gets stuck on the weather strip right when its about to wind completely closed.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Nice one for that, it had been pi**ing me off for a while and all it took was 2 little washers to close like a rolls royce

and

·
Registered
5,680 Posts

Nice thread.
I am having this same problem, but my new door is a little too high when the hinge bolts are fully tightened.
So adding a washer to the top hinge may solve my problem!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Re: how to adjust door........ help (vwgtipowr)

george, that lower bolt is a beotch to get off plus if you force the door part of the hinge further from the body part of the hinge (by putting a washer in there) then it will lower the door.
i thought the same as you until i actuially looked at the design of the hinge

to the other guy: door alignment does not affect window operation otherwise your power windows would not work when you go uphill... you need to remove the door card and tighten the window clamp, motor mounting plate etc.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Dammit! I just come back from Greece a few hours ago, after clubbing until 5 in the morning. No sleep and tons of vodka in my blood and trying to concentrate to work right now!
HOW DIFFICULT CAN THIS BE?????
PS. I am hungry!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Re: how to adjust door........ help (Black_cabbie)

lol. hey, did you ever figure out the air/fuel guage? i put one in a couple fo days ago and its not steady at all, in fact the light races around like its on crack.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

ok, Just ordered a nice meal from Pizza Hut.... Problem sorted!
So now, about the air/fuel gauge. Thats how its supposed to work! I've seen a few more (autometer) and they work excactly the same. When you have no signal at all the Green (rich) led lights up. When you start the car it ignores any input from the O2 so the LED stays in rich area. After arround 1 min you have the Knight Rider effect. While driving the LEDs oschillate faster. When you floor it, it goes to rich and stays there for a few secs before start oschillate again. The problems I've been having so far had to do with a faulty CTS sensor (BRAND NEW) and the O2 sensor which needed replacing.
Other than that its a usefull divice to have in your car. The one I got from batan suit me just fine since I installed in the ashtray and have no pillar gauges (rice style) which I hate!

·
Registered
240 Posts

btw there is 2 bolts at the bottom of the door might be under the weather strip, for adjusting the profile of the window .. only on the cabbies, losen them up and align the window and then tighten to desired position ... good luck

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Re: how to adjust door........ help (Black_cabbie)

Quote, originally posted by Black_cabbie »
Dammit! I just come back from Greece a few hours ago, after clubbing until 5 in the morning. No sleep and tons of vodka in my blood and trying to concentrate to work right now!
HOW DIFFICULT CAN THIS BE?????
PS. I am hungry!

Good to see I'm not the ONLY one who
gets on here after drinking.
And Pizza Hut? Gross, it's food technically, but
you can do better, right? At least here in NY we have
lots of 24 hour stuff.
stand by for drunk vortex posting tonight perhaps?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Re: how to adjust door........ help (exboy99)

ok
it's bed time
didn't get too drunk
but I had a 40 tonight
and hung out with my
buddies.... good times
hope you guys are all havin a fun weekend.....
I'll now leave your door adjusting thread alone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts