VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This info is scattered around the forum but I figure I would do a quick write up and review for those who are interested in this modification like I was.

This is how your turn signal will look after this mod with the stock incandescent bulbs installed:

Stock incandescent:

These are the outer tail light assemblies that you need to order, they are the correct color to match your stock inner tails:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...uter-tail-light-assembly-left/5gm945095d~oee/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...ter-tail-light-assembly-right/5gm945096d~oee/

Here is the coding that you will need to complete:

Here are the upgraded Amber LED bulbs from DeAutoKey. Notice the projector lens for the outer facing led's, this makes a huge difference in the output of light:

http://deautokey.com/product/amber-...its-mk7-golf-models-with-clear-turn-lens-only

This is a photo of the DeAutoKey Amber LED bulb installed:

DeAutoKey Amber Leds:

A few thoughts:

The stock incandescent ambers are perfectly adequate and functional. As an incandescent bulb they exhibit the normal delay in the warm up (on) and cool down (off) states. Not necessarily a bad feature but also not consistent with some of the other bulbs on the car.

The DeAutoKey are quality and you can tell as soon as you open the package. The bulbs are significantly brighter than the stock incandescents, this is obvious when you look at the built in projector housing. The On/Off state is very consistent and instantaneous. They match in color and behavior with the other turn signals on the car. Overall they are worth the investment for the safety and aesthetics of the vehicle. :thumbup::thumbup:

Hope you enjoyed the write up and review, let me know if you have questions!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, the tail Lights are completely plug and play and there is no wiring required.

·
Registered
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
248 Posts
Basically fitting VW euro spec tail lights....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically fitting VW euro spec tail lights....
You got it, unfortunately for us in the NAR market we are stuck with the red brake light/turn signal combo. This is becoming a terrible trend here and it's due to our outdated regulations.

·
Registered
755 Posts
If these light are P&P, then what does the coding do?

Did I miss something :confused:

Thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The coding separates the turn signal lower section to be independent from the brake light upper section. Normally they light up together in the NAR market. This is only for the sportwagen/Alltrack. This doesn't work for the golf/gti/r btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What type of bulb did you install for the turn signal?
Bulb type is 7440 just like the rest of the brake lights. The euro tails come with an incandescent amber already installed so that's what I have in there for now until I get around to ordering an led bulb.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update. I will be reviewing the DeAutoKey amber turn signal bulb in the next few days, stay tuned :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it possible to just do the coding and not replace the taillight units, and have red indicators that act separately from the taillights like the amber ones shown?

·
Vendor
22,448 Posts
Just an update. I will be reviewing the DeAutoKey amber turn signal bulb in the next few days, stay tuned :).
:thumbup: thank you! We appreciate the write-up, many people ask us about this so we will add it to our website also.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it possible to just do the coding and not replace the taillight units, and have red indicators that act separately from the taillights like the amber ones shown?
Yes, you can start with the coding. This is what I did for a month before I finally received my lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wonder what it would look like if you did the coding and replaced the bulb with an amber one? On my stock lights, that part looks less red to me than the rest of the housing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
great DIY, thanks for posting! I have these on my list of things to do and you just made it that much easier to get it done.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wonder what it would look like if you did the coding and replaced the bulb with an amber one? On my stock lights, that part looks less red to me than the rest of the housing.
Not good unfortunately. The rear of the stock lens is red so when you add an amber bulb it creates a weird dark orangish/red that doesn't look right at all, ask me how I know ;). After applying the coding you're better off leaving whatever bulb you have in there, it will be the same turn signal effect except in red.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Just got my OBDEleven yesterday and this was the first mod I did. And it worked! Now just waiting for the new lights...

1 - 20 of 201 Posts