VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
You got it, unfortunately for us in the NAR market we are stuck with the red brake light/turn signal combo. This is becoming a terrible trend here and it's due to our outdated regulations.
Something I've never understood... Why do European and Japanese manufacturers incur extra cost to build separate all red taillights for the American market? Amber turn signals are proven to be safer, and it would be cheaper to use the same taillights worldwide. What do they gain from the investment into red?

·
Banned
53,529 Posts
Something I've never understood... Why do European and Japanese manufacturers incur extra cost to build separate all red taillights for the American market? Amber turn signals are proven to be safer, and it would be cheaper to use the same taillights worldwide. What do they gain from the investment into red?
The redesign them because the EU versions are not to USA regs. The spec is a lot more complex than just the color of the turn signal. Just the USA requirement for side lights requires a s;special unit. If they could use the EU spec unit, they would.

·
Registered
458 Posts
They don't do it on purpose, its because america has this law where the brake light and rear turn signal must each have a lit lens area of at least 50 cm2 (7¾ in2). The American regulation calls this lit lens area “EPLLA” for Effective Projected Luminous Lens Area. This minimum-size requirement doesn’t exist outside America. It’s not such a big deal on a large vehicle where there’s plenty of space for a large rear lamp, but on smaller rear lamps space is at a premium. There often isn’t room for two lamps of at least 50 cm2, so that makes a design constraint.

So its just our outdated laws that don't get changed. It's also why we don't get the dynamic rear turn signals that some Audi's and VW's have.

·
Registered
46 Posts
RED to AMBER turn signals EASY, CHEAP, conversion

YES, there is a red lens behind the clear shell. BUT as I just figured out today how to remove it without damage this mod will cost me two amber light bulbs and I will have two spare brake light bulbs so a net $0 mod!!!

Procedure:
Remove the assembly from the car. One electrical connector, one wing bolt. Pull the assembly straight rearward from the car. On the back of the assembly work the 4 clips to open the housing as if for bulb replacement. The lower section is the turn signal. At the end of the red reflector closest to the bulb is a notch in the reflector. I used an old bicycle spoke ground to a point and bent 90° to get under the red lens and pull it up. It came up fairly easily with a crack noise as the sonic weld broke. It raised enough to get to the bulb entrance and then I placed vise grips on it and pull with a bit of force to get the other end to release. It all slid out the bulb opening in one piece. NO DAMAGE TO THE HOUSING, YEA! Replace bulb with amber bulb.

DONE.

·
Vendor
23,314 Posts
Amazing! This is perfect.

Many know and were wondering about the GREEN LED setup we had and we were not 100% happy and more testing had to be done but we have found in our testing that the GREEN did not come anywhere near close to our bright amber LED behind a clear lens so this is a much smarter setup here.

Here is an older model we offered. We now have an update darker amber/brighter amber LED:

Updated amber LED can be found here:
http://deautokey.com/product/amber-...its-mk7-golf-models-with-clear-turn-lens-only

Or if you want to LED it all out (4) Red and (2) Amber option:
http://deautokey.com/product/comple...mkvii-2015-volkswagen-gti-golf-sportwagen-gsw

And this is the coding required to make it legal:

:thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can confirm that the lens removal mod works. I have both the NAR and RoW outer lamp assemblies and have compared. Pictures coming soon!
Excuse my car as I haven't given it its weekly wash.

Pictures and some gifs as promised!

Left: Stock NAR outer lamp housing, RoW installed on car:

NAR Housing with red lens removed and using amber LED:

Used a small flathead screwdriver for this mod:

Comparison of NAR w/ mod and RoW housings, NAR has the red LED marker on the side.

I did notice some light bleed into where the turn signal bleeds into where the red LED marker is

Not as noticeable when you have the side marker on:

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're on desktop you'll need to host your photos elsewhere first (like imgur or photobucket) then get the link and click the icon pointed at by the red arrow in the screenshot below. For placement, I just double spaced every line, also in the screenshot below.

This is where you'll need to paste the link, you can always type out "
" manually with your link in between as well.

101 - 120 of 201 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.