VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, like anything you have to start somewhere. Its a dream, but nothing is impossible, Curious, where do i even begin, im willing to do whatever it takes.

Modified by T1VW at 7:29 PM 2-13-2004

·
Banned
96 Posts
Definately karting - but you're on the barrier of being too old to move into an F1 slot.
I know a lot of people start their professional racing careers around eight years old.
Good luck though and don't let someone steal your dream. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Re: How to become an F1 Race Car Driver ? (T1VW)

Like it was already said...start with karts...oh and have a dad with $10M+ in the bank.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Re: How to become an F1 Race Car Driver ? (tbvvw)

Karting, of course. It isn't unrealistically expensive. Alex, 5 yr old has been driving kid kart the whole last season. If he's good in the future, there'll be sponsors pouring in. We already got Alpinestars and No Fear.....
Start them young....Alex's sister....

Alex in action....

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Re: How to become an F1 Race Car Driver ? (tifoso)

Quote, originally posted by tifoso »

Go Alex! Get that #1 plate from the kid behind you!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: How to become an F1 Race Car Driver ? (vwmidge)

Wow, i never knew that you needed to start at such a young age, im 17 at the moment, those kids have 10 years over me... It still wont stop me from at least trying, i have always wanted to drive F1. Its been on my mind ever since i saw my first F1 race in Vancouver...

·
Banned
96 Posts

F1 ...Vancouver?
I think you mean CART. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: How to become an F1 Race Car Driver ? (coquinn)

Quote, originally posted by coquinn »
F1 ...Vancouver?
I think you mean CART. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

http://www.molsonindy.com/vancouver/index.php
all this time i have always thought the Indy was apart of F1, please explain the differences. Wow i feel very much in the dark right now..

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

yea has anyone seen the new show on the kids racing i think it is "gold-star racing" or something on TLC...its funny listening to a 6 year old talking about pushing and pulling ..they don't mess around

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Let me rephrase my original comment, i want to become a "racecar" driver.

thnx for the help guys, i guess im going to have to get into the karting scene.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote, originally posted by T1VW »
Let me rephrase my original comment, i want to become a "racecar" driver.

thnx for the help guys, i guess im going to have to get into the karting scene.

http://www.ekartingnews.com
Good Luck!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: How to become an F1 Race Car Driver ? (tifoso)

you arent too old to become a racing driver, even F1. there are some drivers who started late. for example takuma sato didnt start karting until he was like 18 and now hes got a seat at BAR. what you do need to do is get into a go kart asap and to be competitive there you need some serious cash. if you decide to not do karts, you can do some skip barber stuff but you would be at a disadvanatage compared to the guys who have karting experience.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: How to become an F1 Race Car Driver ? (DudeWheresMyCar)

Many years ago, I was at the Jim Russell school in England. Up to that point, I had no racing experience. In the school (Formula Ford) races, I did pretty well, except that I kept getting beaten by this 18 year-old kid who had been the karting champion of Columbia. His name: Roberto Guerrero.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: How to become an F1 Race Car Driver ? (Fielding Mellish)

Here's kind of a coincidence. That was around '93 or so at Indy. The sponsor of that car was Interstate Batteries. In '97, I came to work for Interstate Batteries. At that time, people were still talking about the Indy debacle. Wasn't he on the pole?
He was driving a car with one of those V6s, so he probably never would have finished anyway!
Guerrero actually made it into F1 for a season in the early 80's, but not with a competitive team (Ensign, I think).
I actually ran into him at a trade show in Chicago in the late 80's. To my surprise, he remembered me. Shortly thereafter, he had a huge testing accident at Indy and suffered a major concussion. I kinda think he lost his edge after that.
Back on topic: In my opinion, a classic example of a guy with a lot of talent who just didn't get the right breaks. Luck (and being in the right place at the right time) always plays a huge part!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts