VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Re: how to change a headlight bulb on a 2001 passat HELP!!! (Yo_Delprad)

Is it a B5 or B5.5. Quick way to tell- does it have chrome accents on the windows and such. If so, it's the latter.
Neither requires removal of the headlamp assemblies. You can easily pull the bulbs from behind the housings. For the B5.5: On the driver's side, you need to remove the power steering reservoir cover (it's just clipped on from underneath) and on the passenger side, you need to remove the intake snorkel (it just pulls apart)
Low beams are behind a rubber dome.
If it's a B5, I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone who knows can asnwer.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: how to change a headlight bulb on a 2001 passat HELP!!! (Yo_Delprad)

Step 1: Locate the B5 in question.

Step 2: Follow the pics I took.

Step 3: Put it back together!
I did the passenger side because it's the one that is more hidden away. The driver's side one is way more exposed. Good luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Re: how to change a headlight bulb on a 2001 passat HELP!!! (ctobio)

there you go,you went and spoiled him with those pics , no need to remove the airbox,only the air duct,that just pops out anyway it sthe same as B5.5,and while hes at it at the auto parts store to get bulbs he should p/u a cheap haynes service manual.lots of helpfull hints and pics in there,thats the first thing i bought when i got my pre-owned passats or any new to me vech
and dont touch the new bulb w/bare fingers,the oils w/shorten bulblife besiddes not having an euro switch or and relay 173 pulled,but thats a whole other topic

Modified by turbo 8283 at 3:45 PM 3-16-2008

Modified by turbo 8283 at 3:46 PM 3-16-2008

·
Registered
453 Posts
Re: how to change a headlight bulb on a 2001 passat HELP!!! (TRAP OR DIE)

about that haynes manual. they suck. plain and simple. they get you through nube projects but since we own VW's any tiny thing can go from routine to not so routine (i.e. changing the oil only to find out you have to rebuild the motor). anywho, get a bently!!!!!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: how to change a headlight bulb on a 2001 passat HELP!!! (vdubing_it_25)

Quote, originally posted by vdubing_it_25 »
about that haynes manual. they suck. plain and simple. they get you through nube projects but since we own VW's any tiny thing can go from routine to not so routine (i.e. changing the oil only to find out you have to rebuild the motor). anywho, get a bently!!!!!!!

amen to that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.