VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went through this whole ordeal today and thought I would take a few pics and do a "how to" on the subject.
A litte pre-surgery information:
CAR: 1992 VW GTI 1.8L 8v. I can't say for sure that all the VW's are going to be done in this manner, but I can say that they should be very similar.
The car previously had the hydro mounts, but that one exploded, so I replaced it with the solid mount.
Here is the part number you want to ask for: ETKA #357 199 381C
Anyhow, on the the How To:

TOOLS I RECOMMEND HAVING:
-3/8" and 1/4" socket drivers
-3/8" and 1/4" sockets (17mm 3/8" drive, 13mm 1/4"/3/8" drive, 10mm 1/4" drive)
-10mm wrench
-flat head screwdriver
-6" 3/8" drive extension bar
-hydraulic jack
-jack stands
STEP BY STEP:
1) Remove drivers side wheel. (If this step confuses you, stop now. haha)
2) Jack car up about 6 and place it on stands.
3 Remove 17mm bolt that holds the transmission support arms to the transmission mount.

4) Remove 2 17MM bolts that hold the rear engine mount to the mount arm. I don't have a pic of this, but you can see them. One you can get at with the 6" extension bar and a 17mm socket through a small hole in the control arm on the passenger side. You'll see it. Other is on the opposite side of the mount bracket.
5) Place jack under the bottom of the bellhousing and jack the whole assembly up a few inches. Go slowly! Once you have this up 4-5" you will have the room needed to pull out the mount.

5) Use the 10mm wrench and remove the two securing bolts that sit on the ends of the tabs which bolt the actual mount to the mount bracket for the transmission. It's a little bit of a fight to get room, just get creative!

They go here:

6) Once you have these little 10mm bolts out the mount should come right out.
Here's the side by side shot. Hydro on the right, solid on the left:

6) Remove old mount and drop new mount in.

Assemble in reverse order. 10mm bolts to hold trans mount in first, lower the assembly, rear motor mount bolts after that and finally the 17mm bolt that holds the tranny arms to the mount.
A FEW POINTERS
It helps to remove the coolant res. tank from it's position prior ot this to get a little more room.
Jack the motor and tranny up SLOWLY!!! You don't want to upset your jack stands and have it all come down with it's weight on the bellhousing.
Check around while you are under there. I found that my front support frame is rusted and snapped and that my passenger side outer CV boot is cut all the way around.

SAD....

Modified by rat_bike_madness at 7:17 PM 5-17-2004

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Re: HOW TO: Change a transmission mount! :) (rat_bike_madness)

i think VWvortex is home to the wierdest looking people...anywhere

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rat_bike_madness »

SAD....

u know u've had a successful time working on ur car when u scrape or cut something..... i busted 2 of my knuckles last week swapping suspension stuff around

·
Banned
7,560 Posts
Re: HOW TO: Change a transmission mount! :) (vwdr1ver)

Quote, originally posted by vwdr1ver »

wow! youve never been to the pacific northwest, have you? Rat actually looks conservative compared to most people out here...

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: HOW TO: Change a transmission mount! :) (vwdr1ver)

Quote, originally posted by vwdr1ver »

What are you trying to say??? That I'm weird looking???

HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
10,252 Posts

Anyone made this comparison to you before, ratbike?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

Actually, I HAVE gotten that comparison... but not as much as this one:

Ah hahaha
Awesome!

·
Registered
478 Posts

I'm glad I scrolled down before posting, I was thinking the exact same thing.

·
Banned
7,560 Posts

THIS comparison actually gets him la*d more often than the michael keaton one...
I see how you operate, Rat....

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: HOW TO: Change a transmission mount! :) (PDXGTI8V)

Quote, originally posted by PDXGTI8V »

THIS comparison actually gets him la*d more often than the michael keaton one...

Heh. I wish... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,127 Posts

doing this today, and though i could have figured it out, this really helps, good write up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,127 Posts
having truoble getting the old mount out, it is deeper than the new one, and i cant lift the tranny high enough to get it out before the rest of the car starts getting lifted off the jack stands

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Re: (L33t A2 Jetta)

The one thing that caught me (I did mine yesterday) was that I needed to remove the tranny arm/bracket that comes from the bellhousing to the mount; it was referenced in a couple of the howtos I read, but I got it rather confused with the other tranny support arm that comes from the tranny near the passenger's fender back to the mount. Anyhow, I didn't even realize the piece coming off the bellhousing was a separate bolt-on piece; I thought it was a cast part of the bellhousing until I had been working on the second M8 bolt (13mm head) for about two hours...once I removed that, which did necessitate some disassembly of the shift linkage, everything else went quite smoothly. I did actually have the front end of the car lifted off the stands in the process, but it worked out OK.
I did have trouble to begin with getting at the bigger (17mm head) bolt through the middle of the mount out, as the power steering lines and the brake lines from the MC were both in the way. I ended up getting it with a long (10") wobble extension jammed between the hard lines; I did consider actually disconnecting them, but I really didn't feel like bleeding 'em.
I also did my front mount afterwards, and that was downright easy. One nut and two bolts off, a little jacking, remove the mount; insert new (solid, EIP Tuning) mount, tighten two bolts and one nut, and engine is suddenly attached to subframe instead of just hanging around in the general vicinity.

·
Registered
11,127 Posts
Re: (sparty)

I finally got the old hydro mount out. I needed to drop one side of the subframe about an inch. If you decide to do this there are 2, 19mm bolts, one youll need a 6 inch extension to get at. A side note is remember to disconnect your battery, I forgot to do that until I arc welded a wrench to the rad support. Not that I needed it, but just incase I placed a spare jack stand under the side of the subframe I was lowering.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Re: HOW TO: Change a transmission mount! :) (PDXGTI8V)

Quote, originally posted by PDXGTI8V »

Don't bet on it. Jeez rat_bike, if you needed help with a mount, you should have talked to Mike Olson. He's excellent with mounts.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: HOW TO: Change a transmission mount! :) (Biz)

Quote, originally posted by Biz »

Don't bet on it. Jeez rat_bike, if you needed help with a mount, you should have talked to Mike Olson. He's excellent with mounts.

HAHAHA. Sounds like it... too bad he failed to find a good mount. haha Besides, I'm done with that mount. Mike got a used mount.

Modified by rat_bike_madness at 12:44 PM 5-25-2004

1 - 20 of 25 Posts